What we’ve been up to:
Progress on SQL Data Mask is advancing quickly. Based on the feedback you’ve given us, we’ve added the ability to configure how your data is masked:
SQL Data Mask, now with configurable masking
Previously, we made a guess about what type of masking to apply to each column. For example, if the name of the column was FirstName, we would mask the values with other random first names. However, there was no way to choose not to mask a field, apply a mask to a field that the app didn’t think was sensitive, or customize how a field was masked.
Masking configuration for the customer table
In the latest version of the app, you can now edit what type of masking is applied to each field. The detecting behavior is still there, but we now use it to create some smart default settings that can act as a jumping off point for your own data masking requirements:
We also added some new mask types that can be used to mask sensitive data which doesn’t have a more specific mask. Here are some of the new masks we’ve introduced:
- RandomFirstName: A random first name will be generated
- RandomLastName: A random last name will be generated
- RandomEmail: A random email will be generated
- RandomVisa: A random visa will be generated
- Nulled: The field will be replaced with null
- RandomInteger: A random integer will be generated
- RandomReal: A random real number will be generated
- RandomDatetime: A random datetime will be generated
- RandomString: A random string will be generated
Data Compare result of SQL Data Mask, using the previously shown masking configuration
Coming soon to a server near you
We’ve had a lot of feedback from people asking for an on-premise version of this tool. We’re working on this at the moment so keep your eyes peeled. In the meantime, you can check out the tool now.
Are we heading in the right direction? Help us shape what data masking by Redgate should look like. We’re always available to talk, either by email, or via the red chat link at the bottom right of the Foundry Labs page.
Was this article helpful?