Joined: 20 May 2005
Location: Red Gate Software Ltd
|Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:46 pm Post subject: Logs and configuration files
|The various components in the Exchange Server Archiver system store logs and configuration is consistent locations. These can be very helpful to us if you encounter problems.
- These are bar separated files that are designed to be human and machine readable. They're great information for us if you encounter an error.
Environment.SpecialFolder.CommonApplicationData\Red Gate\Logs e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\Logs
- Event Log (Red Gate Software)
The serious error and information messages are also logged to the event log. The latest of these events are shown in the alerts tab of the admin console on startup.
Component .NET Config
- e.g. Installation Directory/RedGate.ExchangeArchiver.ArchiveService.exe.config
- Controls the .NET remoting after initial installation - probably best not to edit this file unless you're comfortable with it. For the OWA Add-in also contains the UAA Service URL which will be used to retrieve messages.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Red Gate\Exchange Server Archiver 1\UI
- Archive Services - the URIs of the Archive Services which the admin console will connect to on startup
- DNS Timeout (ms) - set this to 0 if you don't want the system to attempt a DNS resolve when connecting to machines
- EsaUser - the user for the Archive Service ( if this is set the configuration wizard won't attempt to give the user permissions to the exchange databases )
- History Count - the number of items to retrieve from the event log of each service on startup or when using View->Refresh
- Ping Timeout (ms) - set this to 0 if you don't want the system to attempt to ping when connecting to machines
- Service Refresh Interval (sec) - set this to a massive number to not refresh the status of the Achive Service or Storage Service when running the console
- Show Exchange Size (0/1) - set this to 0 if you are experiencing slow UI response due to mailbox size calculation
- Storage Services - the URIs of the Storage Services which the admin console will connect to on startup
- UAA Services - the URIs of the User Archive Access Services which the admin console will connect to on startup
- Environment.SpecialFolder.CommonApplicationData\Red Gate\ESA\Archive Service\ArchiveService.xml
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\ESA\Archive Service\ArchiveService.xml
- This file contains all the configuration of when and what mailboxes are going to be archived etc. Removing this file and
restarting the archive service removes all settings. If you have more than one Archive Service make sure you remove both
files at the same time - inconsistencies when running multiple Archive Services aren't resolved automatically by the beta version.
- Environment.SpecialFolder.CommonApplicationData\Red Gate\ESA\Storage Service\StorageService.xml
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\ESA\Storage Service\StorageService.xml
- This file contains the location of all the stores on the storage service. Some of this information is duplicated in the Store.xml file
within the each archive store directory.
User Archive Access Service
- Environment.SpecialFolder.CommonApplicationData\Red Gate\ESA\User Archive Access Service\UAAService.xml
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\ESA\User Archive Access Service\UAAService.xml
- This file contains the location of all the information that the UAA Services to locate Archive Stores and Archive Services.