Red Gate forums :: View topic - Primary Key not synched if Indexes are ignored - FYI
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Compare 10
SQL Compare 10 forum

Primary Key not synched if Indexes are ignored - FYI

Search in SQL Compare 10 forum
Jump to:  
wdhenrik

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Primary Key not synched if Indexes are ignored - FYI Reply with quote

This request is more for everyone else then me.

If you choose to ignore Indexes in your comparison, SQL Compare will not deploy the Primary Key with the table.

I understand that an index is associated with a Primary Key, but I wasn't expecting the Primary Key to be excluded in the table definition.

Please add some additional warning to the Description of the Ignore Indexes check box to mention that this will prevent the table primary key from being deployed with the table.

Thanks,
Wes
Manfred.Castro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be considered a feature request.
You can direct feature requests to our uservoice forums.
http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/141379-sql-compare-feature-suggestions
These forums are actively monitored by our development team and allow our users to request features and vote on them.
If a feature receives a significant amount of votes or is deemed to have merit development may include the feature in a future release.
wdhenrik

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the root problem should actually be considered more of a defect, though not quite a bug. The ignore indexes option doesn't give any warning about the overlap between indexes and constraints. This can cause unexpected and undesirable schema changes.

My minimum acceptable solution was to update the description of the Ignore Indexes option with notice that it would ignore primary keys also. A better solution would be to set Ignore Indexes to only ignore non-key indexes and add a seperate option for ignore Primary Keys. A primary key is more than just an index.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1