Red Gate forums :: View topic - Automatically include new databases in backup job
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Backup 7
SQL Backup 7 forum

Automatically include new databases in backup job

Search in SQL Backup 7 forum
Jump to:  
hotspex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Automatically include new databases in backup job Reply with quote

Hi,

I created a new scheduled backup job. And I selected "Include these: All". This selected all of my existing databases, User and System. The backup job works as expected.

Now, we have a web application that automatically creates databases when someone (application user) creates a new project through the application GUI. Also, after "n" number of days of inactivity, the application knows to detach the inactive databases.

My question is: Does the backup job know to include the newly created databases? And does it know not to backup the detached databses? Or do I need to always be updating my backup job to make sure any changes (additions, deletions) need to be accounted for?

thanks
Hani
RBA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Your backup job will backup all currently attached databases if you select 'all'. So this will take account of new DBs and forget detached ones. To confirm this absolutely, you can check the 'script' tab on the final step of the scheduled backup wizard to ensure the BACKUP DATABASES [*] syntax is used. If you've already created the job, you can inspect the SQL Server agent step via SSMS.

For reference: https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SBU73/The+BACKUP+command#TheBACKUPcommand-BACKUPDATABASEargument

Regards,
hotspex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect! Thanks!
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1