Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Toolkit Previous Versions
SQL Toolkit Previous Versions forum

Column-level control over comparison SQL

Search in SQL Toolkit Previous Versions forum
Jump to:  
piers7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Column-level control over comparison SQL Reply with quote

Is there any way via the API of controlling the generated schema comparison script (from SQL Compare) at a column level?

What I want to do is exclude certain columns from being syncronised, or adjust how they are sync'd. Specifically for columns that we are going to drop in production, I would prefer to rename them to xxx_Deleted (or something) rather than actually drop them. This gives me a simpler rollback if it turns out that the column should not have been dropped, and it was just that a column rename wasn't picked up on properly.

I was hoping to open the Work object generated from the Differences, and disable / modify sync actions on a column by column basis, but it looks like it's all been rendered down into SQL by that stage, which makes this a bit tricky (ie if the table is being rebuilt, it's very hard to detect that the column is being effectively dropped)

Cheers,
Tom Harris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that this level of control is not available via the API. We may add it in the future if there is sufficient demand.

Apologies, Tom
cleek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: desired feature Reply with quote

Having the ability to control the schema comparison script at a column level is something that we would really like to have. Please consider this a feature request.
cleek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: do not actually need column level control Reply with quote

What I really need is the ability to ensure that no column in the target database is dropped.
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have written some sample code for the SDK wiki that will comment out all column drops from the SQL Compare SQL scripts. I hope you all find this useful!!

http://78.31.104.66/index.php/Filter_migration_script
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1