Phew… on November 15th an email went out to a select group of SQL Server DBA’s, Developers and other potential SQL Backup users to let them know of the SQL Backup version 4.0 beta program.
The beta version is pretty much feature complete. It’s a major upgrade from version 3.2.
The final release is scheduled for 16th January 2006.
What’s new in version 4.0?
- Remote back up and restore
- 256-bit encryption
- Support to SQL Server 2005
- Improved compression algorithm
- Files / Filegroups backup
- Schedule backup wizard
- Log shipping wizard
- Backup alerts
- Log Deletion
- Activity history information
- Zero compression option
- New keywords
- New Job Failures tab
- File name enhancements
- New Security model
- …and more…
The beta program is open to others who’d like a sneak preview of the new product:
- If you are not already registered, go to http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/ and register as a user on the Red Gate Software Forums
- Email email@example.com with your username for these forums and I will add you to the private forum for the SQL Backup 4.0 beta.
- You will then be sent an email to confirm you have been added to the private forum, from where you will find the link to download the beta version.