Working in New Biz
As I work in Red Gate’s new business division much of what we do isn’t very visible. So along with Marine Barbaroux I decided to try to create an engaging website to capture what we’re doing in an easy to digest way.
The idea is to create a website that can be used by everybody in Red Gate to get a picture of what we’re doing on a day-to-day basis. It isn’t quite there yet but I thought I’d share the work so far so that anybody can play with it.
How it works
A sample “empty” page
The segments are arranged in 3 columns and 3 rows, each being a known size. Each segment can span half to 3 columns and 1 to 3 rows. The smallest segment being a perfect square of 175px which looks really nice with just a simple image on it.
Have a play
Please feel free to download the source code for the update pages and have a play with it. I’ve tried to go through and comment the code so hopefully it should make sense.
Things to do
There are still quite a few refinements I’d like to make which I will probably do over time if it takes off. These are (in no particular order)
- Back from sub-page goes to referring page
- Clean up carousel – probably re-implement.
- Allow swipe to work on iPad etc (did try it but couldn’t get it to work)
- Similarly allow mouse drag to shift pages
- Also allow keyboard to work left + right
- Back button via pushing history on stack or clever stuff?
- Neaten sources – probably provide some sort of data source server