Migrations V2 beta
We've released a beta version of the new Migrations V2 functionality. This is an improved version of the V1 migration script functionality first introduced in SQL Source Control 3.0, and works quite differently.
Migrations V2 supports:
- all source control systems (including Git and Mercurial)
- frequent branching and merging
- better integration with CI systems for automated deployment
- SQL Azure databases
Unlike V1 migration scripts, V2 migration scripts don't need to be saved in a separate folder in the repository. Instead, they are added to a table-valued function in the database when you commit them. For information about how this works behind the scenes, see How V2 migration scripts are used in deployment.
Get the beta
The Migrations V2 beta is part of SQL Source Control 3.6, released on Frequent Updates.
This is a beta build of SQL Compare compatible with the Migrations V2 beta.
For information about how Migrations V2 works, including worked examples, see the SQL Source Control 3 documentation.
The new migrations feature is still in beta, so we can't guarantee it will work flawlessly just yet.
- The user interface is basic.
- The V2 beta doesn't recognize V1 migration scripts. However, your V1 migration scripts won't be deleted.
- Because it's still in beta, we don't recommend you use Migrations V2 for production.
- Make sure everyone working on the same database is using the same version of the migrations feature. If people are using different versions, migration scripts won't run.
If you just want to experiment with Migrations V2, we recommend you create a new database in a new repository.