people have viewed this job vacancy in the last 24 hours
Working at Red Gate
A place to do great work
"When I first heard about what a technical author does, I couldn't think of a better fit for me. I love getting to the heart of complex technical concepts, and explaining them to other people in a way that makes them seem simple. In this job, I'm part of a development team of fantastic people, working to make software that's as usable as possible. It's challenging, and it never stops being interesting." Beth Aitman, Technical Author
Are you a great communicator with excellent writing skills, a passion for technology, and a keen eye for detail? Can you help us deliver ingeniously simple software?
We're looking for a technical author to join our exciting Opportunities division, working on small, fast-moving agile projects, to help us build new applications with an outstanding user experience across a range of emerging technologies.
You'll be responsible not just for customer-facing documentation, but for the quality of the software application itself. From providing the wording of the user interface to designing and creating product documentation, engaging in customer research and writing help topics and articles, it will be a diverse and challenging role.
Red Gate is proud to be independently recognised as Cambridge's best workplace as well as an award-winning software provider – we aspire to be the best place you've ever worked. To apply, simply upload your CV and covering letter or get in touch if you'd like to talk to us first.
What makes you a Red Gate Technical Author?
- You have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- You can learn to use new software quickly and have a genuine interest in technology.
- You instinctively know good software design when you see it, and can easily identify ways to improve user interfaces.
- You can explain complex, technical ideas in a manner appropriate to your target audience.
- You have a keen eye for detail and always ensure your work is of the highest quality.
- You thrive in a team, enjoy working alongside all kinds of different people, and aim to get the best out of those around you.
What experience do you have?
- Ideally, you'll have experience in a technical author role or in a software development environment.
- You can demonstrate great writing ability and a keen interest in design and technology, particularly in all aspects of user experience.
- You have a strong academic background (at least degree level), or lots of relevant experience and a compelling story.
- We're mainly looking for experienced authors, but if you're a graduate with a strong application, we'll definitely consider you.
What would help?
- Knowledge of common web technologies, such as HTML and CSS.
- Working knowledge of a programming language.
- Knowledge of database and .NET technologies.
- Experience of documenting Cloud or SaaS applications.
- Experience of agile development methodologies.
- Any writing, editing or publishing experience, or experience in teaching or training.
What's the package?
- You'll work about 40 hours a week, Monday to Friday, with flexible work time.
- Salary is £28k-£40k, depending on experience.
- A great benefits package.
- We'll invest in you. We'll give you all the tools and training you'll need to excel and we'll actively support your development.