people have viewed this job vacancy in the last 24 hours
Working at Red Gate
A place to do great work
Graduate Technical Author 2014
"When I first heard about what a technical author does, I couldn't think of a better fit for me. I love getting to the heart of complex technical concepts, and explaining them to other people in a way that makes them seem simple. In this job, I'm part of a development team of fantastic people, working to make software that's as usable as possible. It's challenging, and it never stops being interesting." Beth Aitman, Technical Author
Are you a great communicator with excellent writing skills, a passion for technology, and a keen eye for detail? Can you help us deliver truly outstanding software? Do you want to start your careers at an awesome, award-winning company?
As a graduate technical author at Red Gate, you'll be involved in almost every aspect of the business, gaining an unrivalled set of skills and experiences. You'll be surrounded by a great project team, helping to develop software applications that are ingeniously simple to use.
You'll be responsible not just for customer-facing documentation, but for the quality of the software application itself. From providing the wording of the user interface, to designing and creating product documentation and writing help topics and articles, it will be a diverse and challenging role.
If you have a knack for turning complex ideas into something easy to understand, we want to hear from you. There’s no lengthy application form, all we need is your CV and a cover letter – simple as that.
What makes you a Red Gate Technical Author?
- You have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- You can learn to use new software quickly and have a genuine interest in technology.
- You instinctively know good software design when you see it, and can easily identify ways to improve user interfaces.
- Explaining complex, technical ideas in a manner appropriate to your target audience comes naturally to you.
- You have a keen eye for detail and always ensure your work is of the highest quality.
- You thrive in a team, enjoy working alongside all kinds of different people, and aim to get the best out of those around you.
What experience do you have?
- You’ll have an impressive academic background, with a 2:1 or 1st degree.
- Your degree subject isn’t so important, as long as you can demonstrate great writing ability and a keen interest in design and technology.
What would help?
- Knowledge of common web technologies, such as HTML and CSS.
- Working knowledge of SQL database and .NET technologies or a programming language.
- Any writing, editing, or publishing experience, or experience in teaching or training.
What's the package?
- You'll work 40 hours a week, Monday to Friday, with flexible work time.
- Salary is £25k-£28k, with a £2k signing bonus.
- Start dates flexible, 2014.
- A great benefits package.
What else should you consider?
- We'll invest in you. We'll give you all the tools and training you'll need to excel and we'll actively support your development.