people have viewed this job vacancy in the last 24 hours
Working at Red Gate
A place to do great work
User Experience Designer
Would you get a kick out of working for a company that sees UX as its main competitive advantage, and where the guiding principle is "ingeniously simple"? At Red Gate everyone understands the importance of creating a great UX. We're looking for a User Experience Designer to ensure that our designs and products truly enhance our end users' experience. Visit our UX blog to get a taste of being part of the team.
Working across product development at Red Gate, you'll define and communicate the user experience vision for new and existing products. You'll collaborate with product management, visual designers, and engineers, advocating the best design for our users. Collaboration is key at Red Gate. (Teamwork is just one of the reasons Red Gate has been awarded the Best Use of Agile in the UK Agile Awards.)
You'll drive research activities to identify key user needs and requirements and interpret users' needs into effective and thoughtful design solutions. You'll be responsible for early prototyping and testing of new functionality to learn from users and you'll iterate and lead product designs based on results from research and usability tests to create a great end user experience.
It's an exciting time to work in UX at Red Gate. We're moving away from desktop apps and winforms towards web and HTML5. This leaves us freer to create beautiful UIs and more streamlined workflows. Take a look at Source Control for Oracle to see what we mean. We're looking at ways to make our tools work together better and tell a more compelling story for the user. We're looking at better ways to help our users solve their problems. If you can help us help our users then we want to hear from you.
Red Gate is proud to be independently recognised as Cambridge's best workplace as well as an award winning software provider – we aspire to be the best place you've ever worked. Our users love us and UX is frequently singled out as why people have chosen a Red Gate tool. To apply, simply upload your CV and covering letter or get in touch if you'd like to talk to us first.
What makes you Red Gate's User Experience Designer?
- You'll already have a strong portfolio of work.
- You're able to work across multiple platforms (desktop, web, mobile) and quickly learn to work with new ones too.
- You're able to work well with developers, technical authors, and testers in small project teams where you're able to advocate the user's perspective.
- Your technical analytical skills mean you can objectively challenge problems and devise simple design solutions.
- Your clear and concise communication skills mean you're able to provide rationale and build consensus for design solutions.
- Your knowledge of user-centred design methods and tools is excellent.
- You know your way around facilitating collaborative design sessions and workshops.
What would really help?
- Familiarity with web, SQL Server, and/or .NET technology.
- Experience using an agile approach to software development.
- A university degree in HCI or a related discipline.
What's the package?
- A great benefits package.
- Salary is between £30,000 to £50,000 depending upon your experience.
- You'll work about 40 hours a week, Monday to Friday, with flexible work time.