Red Gate forums :: View topic - Comments/Suggestions
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
Exception Hunter 1
Exception Hunter 1 forum

Comments/Suggestions

Search in Exception Hunter 1 forum
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Author Message
jshipley



Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Comments/Suggestions Reply with quote

A couple of suggestions to make the program easier to use:

1. When the program is searching for unhandled exceptions, it would be nice to have a progress dialog that would allow you to cancel the operation. As it is, there is no way to cancel it. And sometimes it takes a while.

2. When you return to the list of procedures (from the list of unhandled exceptions) you sort of lose your place. It would be nice if it kept your previous selection highlighted.

3. It finds exceptions in designer generated code. Does this make sense? You are not supposed to modify this code. Maybe I am missing something.

4. It would be really nice if it offered to insert the proper catch statement for you.

Thanks,
Jim
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
James Moore



Joined: 21 Nov 2005
Posts: 245

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments/Suggestions Reply with quote

Hi again,

jshipley wrote:

1. When the program is searching for unhandled exceptions, it would be nice to have a progress dialog that would allow you to cancel the operation. As it is, there is no way to cancel it. And sometimes it takes a while.


You should be able to click on another method to switch analysis, it should cancel itself intelligently. Unfortunately we cannot provide a status bar with a true percentage as its one of those algorithms which generates a lot of the work as it goes along. I will talk to our usability team about making the cancel process clearer and if it should be explicit.


jshipley wrote:

2. When you return to the list of procedures (from the list of unhandled exceptions) you sort of lose your place. It would be nice if it kept your previous selection highlighted.


I will put a feature request for this in our tracking system and we will look at it for the next point release.

jshipley wrote:

3. It finds exceptions in designer generated code. Does this make sense? You are not supposed to modify this code. Maybe I am missing something.


You are quite right that you should not modify designer generated code, however you can deal with the exceptions in the form's constructor where it called InitialiseComponent if you want to.

jshipley wrote:

4. It would be really nice if it offered to insert the proper catch statement for you.


This is on our todo list as is closer integration into Visual Studio to make developers lives easier.

Thanks for all of your feedback, its much appreciated.

James
_________________
James Moore
Head of DBA Tools
Red Gate Software Ltd
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jshipley



Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group