Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Packager Previous Versions
SQL Packager Previous Versions forum

Error while establishing connection to server

Search in SQL Packager Previous Versions forum
Jump to:  
MarkI

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Error while establishing connection to server Reply with quote

Hi,

A SQLPackage file was provided to me. I have SQL Server 2005 Express installed on a Vista machine. When I double-click on the file to extract a db, I get this:

"An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)"

I went in to SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration and changed the SQLEXPRESS Database Engine's Remote Connections to use Remote and local connections (I tried both "Using named pipes only" and "Using both TCP/IP and named pipes"). I made sure to stop and start the Database Engine service after each change. Unfortunately, this did not work.

I am connecting to the database with Windows Authentication.

Ideas? Help... Thank you.

Mark
chris.buckingham

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can access the SQL Express connection - when you fire up the SQL Package you have framed 'Select Database' set of options.

For Server insert

.\SQLExpress

in the Server drop down combo box (note the '.\' before the string 'SQLExpress' is necessary)

This will force the SQLExpress to be seen. If it doesn't see a SQL server then it will always come up with this message - it is a bit misleading as it is a blanket message for all circumstances!
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1