Red Gate forums :: View topic - ALTER TABLE ... MODIFY CONSTRAINT ...
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
Schema Compare for Oracle Beta
Schema Compare for Oracle Beta forum

ALTER TABLE ... MODIFY CONSTRAINT ...

Search in Schema Compare for Oracle Beta forum
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
kAlvaro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: ALTER TABLE ... MODIFY CONSTRAINT ... Reply with quote

I'm evaluating Schema Compare for Oracle to create migration scripts in order to upgrade an application. The code looks good at first sight (all actual changes seem to be reflected) but most of the generated SQL consists on lines like this:

Code:
ALTER TABLE "MY_DB"."MY_TABLE" MODIFY CONSTRAINT MY_TABLE_FK;

There're seem to be one for each foreign key, even if none of the involved tables have changed. What's the exact purpose of these MODIFY clauses?
Simon C

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Constraint modifications are one of the things we havent really tested yet; it's currently being worked on at the moment Smile

As you probably guessed, this is still an early version of the product, and a lot of the functionality isn't tested nearly as well as it would be if it was a final release.

Out of interest, what constraint properties are different between your databases (if any)?

thanks,
SimonC
kAlvaro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Simon C wrote:
Out of interest, what constraint properties are different between your databases (if any)?

I've added a couple of tables so two of the existing tables have new foreign keys. There aren't any other changes related to constraints.

(All the source code is stored in versioned text files so I can compare with any file differencing tool.)
alice.easey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've just released our latest early access build.

We've made considerable improvements to the way we're handling constraints and would really appreciate it if you could try out the latest build and let us know what you think.

You can download the new build here.

Thanks,

Alice.
kAlvaro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

alice.easey wrote:
We've just released our latest early access build.

We've made considerable improvements to the way we're handling constraints and would really appreciate it if you could try out the latest build and let us know what you think.

I need to do more testing (I wish I had the time now...) but a preliminary test shows the new release is working way better. The top panel only displays as modified the objects that were actually modified.

The bottom panel still highlights some differences that are not real because it includes the database name in CREATE TABLE statements but it's a minor issue.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1