people have viewed this job vacancy in the last 24 hours
Working at Red Gate
A place to do great work
Software Engineer (Big Data Innovations)
Red Gate is looking for a Software Engineer to help develop a new range of tools and services for Big Data and NoSQL platforms. You'll be working with a fast moving team developing and testing new product ideas, working closely with the rest of Red Gate and our external partners.
The Big Data project is about moving fast. We're aiming for short sprints to test multiple concepts as quickly as possible. Product Management and Dev will be closely interleaved so you may end up having to progress multiple projects at once. Everything you create will be new. You'll be on the front line, along with the rest of a small team. This is an opportunity to have a strong impact on one of the most exciting and fast growing sectors in software today.
What makes you an innovation developer?
- Ability to generate ideas, not just execute them.
- A pragmatic attitude to getting things working.
- A desire to talk to and visit customers and to attend conferences.
- Willingness to just throw code away and let go of ideas.
- Flexibility and ability to work independently and closely with a small autonomous team.
What will you be doing?
- Architecture and coding for prototypes.
- Not just coding. There will be times when you'll be rummaging in data, talking to customers, or contributing research and technical articles.
- Playing a key role in product design from a technical perspective.
- Participating in brainstorming sessions to create new product ideas.
What experience will you need to use?
- Back-end development, whether it is ASP.NET, Rails, or something else, and exposure to other technology stacks.
- Experience pulling together a variety of pieces quickly into a working solution.
- Ability to contribute to technology driven research.
What would help?
- The ability to pick up new technologies on the fly and fast.
- Experience with Big Data technologies would be very helpful; particularly Hadoop, Hive, Pig, Sqoop, and ideally HDInsights.
- Interest in blogging, communication and user groups.
- Experience in a start-up environment, particularly following lean and Agile methodologies.
- Knowledge of and exposure to new platforms, including NoSQL, and cloud (Azure, AWS, Heroku, etc.).
- Back-end development skills in .NET, C# and a variety of databases. Some Java experience might also help.
- An interest in statistics and data.
What's the package?
- A great benefits package.
- Salary is between £40,000 and £55,000, depending on experience.
- You'll work about 40 hours a week, with flexible work time.
Red Gate is proud to be independently recognised as Cambridge's best workplace as well as an award winning software provider - we aspire to be the best place you've ever worked. To apply, simply upload your CV and covering letter or get in touch if you'd like to talk to us first.