Go to product documentation
SQL Log Rescue
SQL Log Rescue forum

"No Full Database Backup Specified"

Search in SQL Log Rescue forum
Jump to:  
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Mindflux

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: "No Full Database Backup Specified" Reply with quote

I get this warning when Selecting a backup I did with SQLBackup v5 from around 9am today, and then all the incremental logs from 10 to 2pm give me that nothing relevant is contained within them.

Why is this? Even if I select just the backup from earlier today I get the error message that no full backup is specified and it'll be ignored for having no relevant information? So what good is it if I cannot open a SQLBackup backup?

If I do the same thing with an Microsoft SQLEM backup from the other day, it does not give me those warnings/errors.
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I think this could be caused by an outdated copy of the Sqb2MTF.exe in the Log Rescue program folder. Log Rescue does not read .sqb files directly -- it converts them first using sqb2mtf. If you have the latest version of SQL Backup handy, please try copying sqb2mtf into Log Rescue's program folder and see if that works.
Mindflux

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Brian Donahue wrote:
Hello,

I think this could be caused by an outdated copy of the Sqb2MTF.exe in the Log Rescue program folder. Log Rescue does not read .sqb files directly -- it converts them first using sqb2mtf. If you have the latest version of SQL Backup handy, please try copying sqb2mtf into Log Rescue's program folder and see if that works.

100% Correct. This fixed it.
Smile
Mindflux

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Mindflux wrote:
Brian Donahue wrote:
Hello,

100% Correct. This fixed it.
Smile

I take that back, It uncompresses it now.. but still tells me it's not a full backup or valid backup.
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please post the full text of the message from Log Rescue? I can think of two or three similar problems to this description, so the exact text would help.
Mindflux

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Brian Donahue wrote:
Can you please post the full text of the message from Log Rescue? I can think of two or three similar problems to this description, so the exact text would help.

I'll see if I can get it. FWIW I used the dos converter to convert the sqb to a bak and then selected that file in the Log Rescue GUI and it didn't harp about it not being a good backup file.
Mindflux

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This backup is from this morning, but if that .sqb was a .mtf it would have said it was ready to examine it and the live log.
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many backup files did you specify... just the one?
Mindflux

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Brian Donahue wrote:
How many backup files did you specify... just the one?

Yep. Just the last full backup from this morning (in this instance). Even if I specify every hourly log backup from this morning until my latest one I'll get that "no relevant info" for each log file as well.
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the backup file part of a set of backup files? (see here)
Mindflux

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Brian Donahue wrote:
Is the backup file part of a set of backup files? (see here)

It's a full backup, done nightly. Not part of an incremental or differential backup.
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be more specific, is it part of a full beckup that has been split across several files, for instance exec master..sqlbackup '-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [x] TO DISK=''something.sqb'', DISK=''somethingelse.sqb''"'

Log Rescue doesn't support split backup files.
Mindflux

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Brian Donahue wrote:
To be more specific, is it part of a full beckup that has been split across several files, for instance exec master..sqlbackup '-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [x] TO DISK=''something.sqb'', DISK=''somethingelse.sqb''"'

Log Rescue doesn't support split backup files.

Nope, single file backup.

Code:

EXECUTE master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "BACKUP DATABASES [master, model, msdb, DHL, DHL_Missing, DHL_Orig, pubs] TO DISK = ''C:\SQLBACKUP\Daily\DB\<database>\<AUTO>.sqb'' WITH COMPRESSION = 1, COPYTO = ''E:\SQLBACKUP\Daily\DB\<Database>\'', ERASEFILES = 4, FILEOPTIONS = 1, MAILTO = ''ryan@domain.com', THREADCOUNT = 3, VERIFY"', @exitcode OUT, @sqlerrorcode OUT
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The problem is that Log Rescue doesn't handle multithreaded full backups. I have tried this myself, and on the same database it works with a regular backup file, but if I increase the THREADCOUNT to 3, I get the same error as yourself. I'll log a bug and document this. Thanks for pointing it out.
Mindflux

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Brian Donahue wrote:
Hi,

The problem is that Log Rescue doesn't handle multithreaded full backups. I have tried this myself, and on the same database it works with a regular backup file, but if I increase the THREADCOUNT to 3, I get the same error as yourself. I'll log a bug and document this. Thanks for pointing it out.

Ahhhh. Well that explains it. As I said if I used the DOS sqb2mtf.exe and convert it it works, though it split it into 3 files (maybe one per thread?).

It would be nice to have this fixed Smile Thanks for testing it out.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2