Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Log Rescue
SQL Log Rescue forum

Trying to troubleshoot issues

Search in SQL Log Rescue forum
Jump to:  
sunbaked

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Trying to troubleshoot issues Reply with quote

Hi. When i trialed SQL Log Rescue i seemed to get exactly what i needed, now that i have purchased it though i can't seem to get anything - i am not sure if i am doing something different this time or if there is some other issue.

I have an application in production at a client site but am having some weirdness i am trying to troubleshoot. I have backed up both his database & transaction files (180MBs, 5.2GBs respectively). I restore the database on my development server and then start a new project. I point to both the bak file & the trn file when prompted and they are accepted and i am free to process the logs.

Next step though it tells me "No transactions are recorded in the database log. Re-run the Project Settings wizard..."

The client's production server does not have your application running on it, i am not sure if that makes the difference? I am looking for a product to analyze the backup (db & trn) to evaluate - is this maybe not the product for me or am i missing something simple?

TIA
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

If you have an offline server available to restore the database to and a full set of full and transaction log backups, then you should probably use log rescue offline rather than in your production environment. The full procedure for doing this is descussed here:

http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=1993

The procedure is laid out in the second post to this topic, before the topic goes off in other directions.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1