Red Gate forums :: View topic - Feedback on my testing of log rescue 1.1
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Log Rescue
SQL Log Rescue forum

Feedback on my testing of log rescue 1.1

Search in SQL Log Rescue forum
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Author Message
twilkinson@uh.org



Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Feedback on my testing of log rescue 1.1 Reply with quote

I really like the tool but it does has some quirks that would be nice to see go away.

I used the tool to look at a translog from the previous day... one file that has about 15 minutes of data within it.

It took about 2 minutes top to process that 1 file then I had to wait another 20 minutes so that it could process the "live log". I don't care about the live log... If I pick one file from the previous day do you expect me to need the information from the current log? There might be a reason for the live log but let me choose to process the live log... don't force me into it. A waste of 20 minutes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vladimir



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 6
Location: Calgary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this scenario and see what you will have...
do full backup, do some tran logs backup, do differential backup, drop previous tran log backups(you have differential, why to keep them,right?) do some tran log backup again, now try to use LogRescue, just try to load the app and select all available backups... Post here your Feedback.... Laughing.... I still have no clear answer on my issue... Cool support ... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
twilkinson@uh.org



Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Not sure why you placed "Cool Support... Evil or Very Mad" in your message, is this because if you are going to get any support it is from this forum? Called for support last Thursday and still no call back. I guess I expect more... hell they are selling this stuff right? or is it freeware?

Vladimir wrote:
Try this scenario and see what you will have...
do full backup, do some tran logs backup, do differential backup, drop previous tran log backups(you have differential, why to keep them,right?) do some tran log backup again, now try to use LogRescue, just try to load the app and select all available backups... Post here your Feedback.... Laughing.... I still have no clear answer on my issue... Cool support ... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vladimir



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 6
Location: Calgary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

twilkinson@uh.org wrote:
Not sure why you placed "Cool Support... Evil or Very Mad" in your message, is this because if you are going to get any support it is from this forum? Called for support last Thursday and still no call back. I guess I expect more... hell they are selling this stuff right? or is it freeware?

Vladimir wrote:
Try this scenario and see what you will have...
do full backup, do some tran logs backup, do differential backup, drop previous tran log backups(you have differential, why to keep them,right?) do some tran log backup again, now try to use LogRescue, just try to load the app and select all available backups... Post here your Feedback.... Laughing.... I still have no clear answer on my issue... Cool support ... Evil or Very Mad

'Cool support' - mean they will try to take time as long as they can, before to come up with answers..I had issues and they still keep silence...
I think they have no QA team at all...
Good things - we didn't buy anything yet, just eveluate soft...
On this forum looks like only a few developers(who is working on producs), trying to answer, so nobody else can help you...I'm not looking for suppot here, just trying to raise issues...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brian Donahue



Joined: 23 Aug 2004
Posts: 6580

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vladimir,

I don't think this is a fair assessment at all. You had first contacted support on 29 June. We had replied to you at least 8 times since then. At the end of the trail, we had asked for a bit of information that you hadn't sent to us, or even replied to us at all as far as I can tell.

Like you said, you hadn't purchased anything. Out first priority is our customers and we do take the time to make sure that the evaluations are as successful as possible.

This is why we allow a two week evaluation, to put the product up front. And if there is a problem, we like to know because a lot of the bug reports do come in as a result of evaluators and I do appreciate that you take the time to download and install the product and contact us, because in the end this results in a better product for everybody.

Terry -- as I explained in my email, we are looking into the communication failures on your end because apparently we did not get a message passed on to us in support about your problems. This could be because the out-of-hours reception did not pass the message on, or maybe because of an equipment failure in either the voicemail system or the email. We return each and every call that we get out of hours. Once I get the information I need to track down what's happened, I'm going to fix any problems so it won't happen again.

Once again, I'm sorry you haven't been satisfied, but it is very out-of-the-ordinary to not get a callback from Red Gate. And if you're willing to work with us, we will expend every resource to solve any problems that come up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vladimir



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 6
Location: Calgary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Brian Donahue wrote:
Vladimir,

I don't think this is a fair assessment at all. You had first contacted support on 29 June. We had replied to you at least 8 times since then. At the end of the trail, we had asked for a bit of information that you hadn't sent to us, or even replied to us at all as far as I can tell.

Like you said, you hadn't purchased anything. Out first priority is our customers and we do take the time to make sure that the evaluations are as successful as possible.

This is why we allow a two week evaluation, to put the product up front. And if there is a problem, we like to know because a lot of the bug reports do come in as a result of evaluators and I do appreciate that you take the time to download and install the product and contact us, because in the end this results in a better product for everybody.

Terry -- as I explained in my email, we are looking into the communication failures on your end because apparently we did not get a message passed on to us in support about your problems. This could be because the out-of-hours reception did not pass the message on, or maybe because of an equipment failure in either the voicemail system or the email. We return each and every call that we get out of hours. Once I get the information I need to track down what's happened, I'm going to fix any problems so it won't happen again.

Once again, I'm sorry you haven't been satisfied, but it is very out-of-the-ordinary to not get a callback from Red Gate. And if you're willing to work with us, we will expend every resource to solve any problems that come up.

I have 8 replies, 2 from sales team 3 from support team, 3 from you.. My first email was on 19 June, 2006 to sales team and June 20 to support team...I have described many times my problem and can repeat it again, but I have no clear answer or help with this...What kind of information you didn't get from me, if I described the scenario full backup->tran logs backup->differential backup->tran log backups, delete tran logs backups created before differential backup-> run Log Rescue to try to recover something from used database backups-> see the problem... What is not clear in my explanation...?
Terry, is my problem looks clear to you ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
twilkinson@uh.org



Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Vladimir, I believe that I do indeed follow you... but it really does not matter. Your point I see the most is the lack of support which I totally agree is poor. I'm not posting to make Brian OR red-gate look bad for the work they are doing but to shed light on the issue. Timely support. Brian, the email that I got this morning (You sent out on Saturday... I'm off so I responded on Monday) was basically trying to track down why you could not find my support request, when you should have been trying to find out what my issue is. I think that it is well known I would like to speak to someone about my issue and now it is the end of the business day with no call back. And yes I'm on the eval period so that means I'm on a lower priority than the paying customer... I thought you wanted me to be a paying customer... so I'm treated on lower response level... OK that make sense. I want the support to get better so that we can use your products in confident. That if something was to go wrong, we can get an answer in a timely manner. My company had PO in place for the backup product but we cancelled it because it took red-gate nearly 36 hours to get back with us on an issue (about 3-4 months ago is my best guess). That will not work. Again, I bring this up because I want you to succeed. If I wanted you to fail OR to look bad then I would simply say nothing.

Vladimir wrote:
Brian Donahue wrote:
Vladimir,

I don't think this is a fair assessment at all. You had first contacted support on 29 June. We had replied to you at least 8 times since then. At the end of the trail, we had asked for a bit of information that you hadn't sent to us, or even replied to us at all as far as I can tell.

Like you said, you hadn't purchased anything. Out first priority is our customers and we do take the time to make sure that the evaluations are as successful as possible.

This is why we allow a two week evaluation, to put the product up front. And if there is a problem, we like to know because a lot of the bug reports do come in as a result of evaluators and I do appreciate that you take the time to download and install the product and contact us, because in the end this results in a better product for everybody.

Terry -- as I explained in my email, we are looking into the communication failures on your end because apparently we did not get a message passed on to us in support about your problems. This could be because the out-of-hours reception did not pass the message on, or maybe because of an equipment failure in either the voicemail system or the email. We return each and every call that we get out of hours. Once I get the information I need to track down what's happened, I'm going to fix any problems so it won't happen again.

Once again, I'm sorry you haven't been satisfied, but it is very out-of-the-ordinary to not get a callback from Red Gate. And if you're willing to work with us, we will expend every resource to solve any problems that come up.

I have 8 replies, 2 from sales team 3 from support team, 3 from you.. My first email was on 19 June, 2006 to sales team and June 20 to support team...I have described many times my problem and can repeat it again, but I have no clear answer or help with this...What kind of information you didn't get from me, if I described the scenario full backup->tran logs backup->differential backup->tran log backups, delete tran logs backups created before differential backup-> run Log Rescue to try to recover something from used database backups-> see the problem... What is not clear in my explanation...?
Terry, is my problem looks clear to you ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vladimir



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 6
Location: Calgary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

twilkinson@uh.org wrote:
Vladimir, I believe that I do indeed follow you... but it really does not matter. Your point I see the most is the lack of support which I totally agree is poor. I'm not posting to make Brian OR red-gate look bad for the work they are doing but to shed light on the issue. Timely support. Brian, the email that I got this morning (You sent out on Saturday... I'm off so I responded on Monday) was basically trying to track down why you could not find my support request, when you should have been trying to find out what my issue is. I think that it is well known I would like to speak to someone about my issue and now it is the end of the business day with no call back. And yes I'm on the eval period so that means I'm on a lower priority than the paying customer... I thought you wanted me to be a paying customer... so I'm treated on lower response level... OK that make sense. I want the support to get better so that we can use your products in confident. That if something was to go wrong, we can get an answer in a timely manner. My company had PO in place for the backup product but we cancelled it because it took red-gate nearly 36 hours to get back with us on an issue (about 3-4 months ago is my best guess). That will not work. Again, I bring this up because I want you to succeed. If I wanted you to fail OR to look bad then I would simply say nothing.

Vladimir wrote:
Brian Donahue wrote:
Vladimir,

I don't think this is a fair assessment at all. You had first contacted support on 29 June. We had replied to you at least 8 times since then. At the end of the trail, we had asked for a bit of information that you hadn't sent to us, or even replied to us at all as far as I can tell.

Like you said, you hadn't purchased anything. Out first priority is our customers and we do take the time to make sure that the evaluations are as successful as possible.

This is why we allow a two week evaluation, to put the product up front. And if there is a problem, we like to know because a lot of the bug reports do come in as a result of evaluators and I do appreciate that you take the time to download and install the product and contact us, because in the end this results in a better product for everybody.

Terry -- as I explained in my email, we are looking into the communication failures on your end because apparently we did not get a message passed on to us in support about your problems. This could be because the out-of-hours reception did not pass the message on, or maybe because of an equipment failure in either the voicemail system or the email. We return each and every call that we get out of hours. Once I get the information I need to track down what's happened, I'm going to fix any problems so it won't happen again.

Once again, I'm sorry you haven't been satisfied, but it is very out-of-the-ordinary to not get a callback from Red Gate. And if you're willing to work with us, we will expend every resource to solve any problems that come up.

I have 8 replies, 2 from sales team 3 from support team, 3 from you.. My first email was on 19 June, 2006 to sales team and June 20 to support team...I have described many times my problem and can repeat it again, but I have no clear answer or help with this...What kind of information you didn't get from me, if I described the scenario full backup->tran logs backup->differential backup->tran log backups, delete tran logs backups created before differential backup-> run Log Rescue to try to recover something from used database backups-> see the problem... What is not clear in my explanation...?
Terry, is my problem looks clear to you ?

Terry, I also wanted REDGate to succeed, I was requested by my manager to evaluate the redgate products, but with level of support I'm having, I'm feel disappointed.. I cannot lie to my manager and say, yes, product is great, go ahead and buy it...I need assurance for me, than product is working as should be.. Nothing else... I'm just waiting and after that, if nothing will come up - I will have to tell the truth to my boss..That's it...I have no personal interest in bringing down reputation of REDGATE... As potential customer - I have right's to have help as well...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brian Donahue



Joined: 23 Aug 2004
Posts: 6580

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Since we've gone into the 'mission critical' market, we're aware that we need more support coverage. Since last week, we have already implemented US business hours support and hired a manager to analyze and implement new support options such as 24x7 support which may be coming in the near furure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group