Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Monitor 3
SQL Monitor 3 forum

Disk Drive's path name not being shown

Search in SQL Monitor 3 forum
Jump to:  
sql-lover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Disk Drive's path name not being shown Reply with quote

Hi,

RedGate monitoring does not show the full path for a couple of new mount points I added to my MS-SQL server.

All I can see is something like:

HarddiskVolume10

instead of ...

E:\SQL_Data3

How I can fix this so SQL Monitor can display the actual path name, with the drive letter, etc.
Evan Moss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

SQL Monitor should pull these drive names from PerfMon -- can you run the "Testing remote registry (PerfMon)" test on this page (http://documentation.red-gate.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=17270677) for the server you mentioned and check the "LogicalDisk" counter? The drive names listed should match what you see in Monitor.

We have seen this happen in other cases where third party tools have affected the naming in PerfMon.

We have a ticket open for you (#11140), so if you'd like to investigate further, please email your log files to support@red-gate.com with that reference. (You can get the logs by going to configuration->about and clicking "retrieve all log files".)

Thanks,
Evan
sql-lover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Evan Moss wrote:

We have seen this happen in other cases where third party tools have affected the naming in PerfMon.

Thanks,
Evan

Hi Evan,

What does that mean? My MS-SQL servers are dedicated boxes. And I have two of my servers, which are identical, without that problem.

Everything started after my SAN admin and I added two new volumes, which I made mount points. It seems like after that, RedGate can't recognize any of those new names.

I've stopped the RedGate monitoring service without any luck. I even put the MS-SQL box on maintenance mode and re-add but it did not refresh those names. I even upgraded to 4.0 this morning ... still no luck ...
Evan Moss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the names showing properly through the LogicalDisk counter in PerfMon? It would be best if you could test PerfMon remotely as detailed in this article: http://documentation.red-gate.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=17270677

Thanks,
Evan
sql-lover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Evan Moss wrote:
Are the names showing properly through the LogicalDisk counter in PerfMon? It would be best if you could test PerfMon remotely as detailed in this article: http://documentation.red-gate.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=17270677

Thanks,
Evan

Do I have to check this on the target or monitored server or on the server that hosts the monitoring system?
Evan Moss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to check on the monitored server that has the incorrectly named drives. You could check it locally on that machine, but it would be an even better test to open PerfMon on the machine with the Base Monitor service, then remotely connect to the monitored machine and view the LogicalDisk counter that way.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1