Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Source Control 3
SQL Source Control 3 forum

Deploy static table data best practice

Search in SQL Source Control 3 forum
Jump to:  
greg.strauss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Deploy static table data best practice Reply with quote

What is the best practice for deploying static table updates from Source Control to a staging or production server?

Currently, we update the static tables on our dedicated development system and check them in successfully with SSC (we use SVN) . We now want to deploy these changes from source control to a staging server that already exists for our QA department

So, if I use SQL Data Compare and use Source Control as the source and the staging server as target, the SQL data comparison tool (by default) will try to compare all tables. Is there a way to tell SQL Data Compare to only select the statically linked tables in Source Control? I'm not sure why you'd ever want to do a full data comparison when the source is Source Control.

Also, is there a way to unify the deployment step so that both schema and data changes (in statically linked tables) can be deployed in one go? Now we have to remember to do both (SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare) for a deployment.
stanori

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gregg.strauss,

Thanks for your forumn post. In regards to your question about deploying static tables, you would typically use SQL Data Compare to deploy the changes.

In the latest build of SQL Compare (10.2.3.1.) there is a new command line switch "/include:static" which can be used to deploy static data from SQL Source Control to your target database.

Best Regards,
Steve
Red Gate Software Ltd.
866-997-0378
greg.strauss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for the reply.

In SQL Compare, is there a UI equivalent to "/include:static"? In other words, can I trigger this option in the user interface someplace? I don't see this option in the "Options" tab in SQL Compare (I have 10.2.3.1).

To do a deployment, we initiate it from SSMS, so generally we are isolated from the command line.

I would suggest having this option on the "Data Sources" tab when you select "Source Control" as the Source.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1