Red Gate forums :: View topic - Running in tandem with TestComplete automated test
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
ANTS Memory Profiler 7
ANTS Memory Profiler 7 forum

Running in tandem with TestComplete automated test

Search in ANTS Memory Profiler 7 forum
Jump to:  
nohorse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Running in tandem with TestComplete automated test Reply with quote

I'd like to run ANTS Memory profiler while I'm also runnig my test scripts using TestComplete. Are there instructions for how to accomplish this?
james.billings

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm not familiar with the testing tool you mention, but if it requires you to start up your application via their process then this may make it hard to get the profiler to hook in (unless you can use the attach to process) option once your app is up and running?

You can also get your code to take snapshots at certain points using the API but the profiler still needs to be connected to your application in the usual way to begin with.
nohorse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

thanks for responding. TestComplete is an automated testing tool. It runs the my app via scripts and can simulate user interactions. the initial parts of the script launch my app. I'd like to have that launch include ANTS memory profiler. I looked for some command line options for ANTS, but the only ones I found were from version 4. I'm using version 7. Do you have examples of ANTS being launched from the command line, or as part of an automated testing process?
james.billings

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply- I don't think we do. One of my colleague replied to your query on StackOverflow as well, indicating the ability to use the API to take snapshots which may be helpful; but it's not common that people integrate it into a test process in the way you describe (at least not as far as I'm aware)
nohorse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for following up on all my various queries. I'll continue with the manual testing, and look into that snapshot API. The particular bug i'm trying to track down only happens after continued usage, so I was hoping to automate those iterations. It would be really handy to have some command line options for the memory profiler. If you have a feature request forum, I'll make a request there.
dom.smith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for requesting the feature.

The main reason that the API was removed from ANTS Memory Profiler at version 4 was that there's no sensible way to tell the command line version of ANTS Memory Profiler to take a snapshot when something else happens in some other program.

I've added your request to our internal tracking database. In the meantime, I hope that you're able to use the API to track down your bug. There's more information about the API at http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/content/ANTS_Memory_Profiler/help/7.4/amp_snapshot_api

Dom.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1