Red Gate forums :: View topic - Can't figure out how to profile my web services application.
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
ANTS Performance Profiler 6
ANTS Performance Profiler 6 forum

Can't figure out how to profile my web services application.

Search in ANTS Performance Profiler 6 forum
Jump to:  
rgelb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Can't figure out how to profile my web services application. Reply with quote

I have a web services application that pretty much consists of .asmx pages separated by folders.

I can't figure out how to profile it. Specifically, I don't know what to enter for the ASP.NET web application (path). I've selected one of the ASMX pages, but when IE comes up and I click on the ASMX, it says:

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not create type 'CC.Fusion.Services.Account'.
Source Error: Line 1: <%@ WebService Language="C#" CodeBehind="Account.asmx.cs" Class="CC.Fusion.Services.Account" %>

My directory structure is like this:

Accounts
* Account.asmx
* Dashboard.asmx

Proposals
* Proposals.asmx
* Audit.asmx

When I kick off the Web Services project, it creates http://localhost:1672/FusionServices/ as the root URL, Virtual Path is /FusionServices and the Physical Path is C:\Code.Net\MyCompanyName\Fusion\CC.Fusion\CC.Fusion.Services\

What do I have to do to be able to profile my web services project?

I am using ANTS Performance Profiler 5.2 Professional
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

The error message indicates that a type can't be loaded and this usually means a precompiled DLL can't be found. ANTS Perf Profiler shouldn't cause any reconfiguration of the applicaiton, although in 5.2 I believe it changes the user who is running the applicaiton from the app pool user to whoever is logged in to the desktop.

I would say, try using the development web server (outside ANTS Profiler) and see if you get the same result. Then it may be a permissions problem that you can easily sory by granting yourself access to all the files.
rgelb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The app works fine outside of the ANTS Profiler. And it's not a permissions issue (full rights to folders & subfolders to everyone).

I did figure it out. Your tool works well if you select an .asmx page in the root of the project, because it picks the folder of the asmx file as the application directory. However, I do not have any .asmx files in the root of the project (they are all in subdirectories). So I created a dummy .asmx file in the root of the project (on the file system, not in the actual project), selected that and it worked fine.

It's probably a good idea to change the New Profiling Session dialog to have the user select a directory rather than an .asmx file.

Thanks.
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I think that what may have happened is that the root folder of the website needed to be chosen. It's not really important that an .aspx | .asmx file has been chosen, even though the file chooser makes it look that way.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1