Go to product documentation
SQL Prompt 5
SQL Prompt 5 forum

SQL Prompt 5 crashes VS 2008

Search in SQL Prompt 5 forum
Jump to:  
Go to page 1, 2  Next
gfrizzle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: SQL Prompt 5 crashes VS 2008 Reply with quote

After installing SQL Prompt 5, I was unable to open .aspx or .ascx files in Visual Studio 2008 - the whole app would just disappear. I tried unchecking "Use SQL Prompt", but that didn't help. I had to uninstall it to get VS working again. Back to v4.0...
David_S

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: VS 2008 building Reporting services reports Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm having the same kind of problems, after installing "SQL Prompt 5", whenever I try to preview a report that I'm building in BIDS 2008 (the "SQL Server 2008 R2" edition), the Visual Studio environment completly vanished and everything is gone.

::David
Stockholm, Sweden
howarthcd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: VS 2008 building Reporting services reports Reply with quote

David_S wrote:
Hi!

I'm having the same kind of problems, after installing "SQL Prompt 5", whenever I try to preview a report that I'm building in BIDS 2008 (the "SQL Server 2008 R2" edition), the Visual Studio environment completly vanished and everything is gone.

::David
Stockholm, Sweden

Just to add that I'm experiencing the same problem as David following an upgrade to SQL Prompt 5. I have to uninstall SQL Prompt 5 in order to be able to preview reports.

Following such a crash the Windows Application event log contains the following event:

Quote:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: .NET Runtime
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1023
Date: 30/12/2010
Time: 08:46:51
User: N/A
Computer: DEVDT54
Description:
.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3615 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A0360B0) (80131506)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I'm looking forward to a resolution of this issue so that we can confidently upgrade the version of SQL Prompt that our dev team is currently using.

Chris
David_S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: work-around Reply with quote

Hi!

I found a work-around for this in another thread here in this forum.

What you need to do is go into Tools > Add-Ons in BIDS, and unchecked "SQL Prompt 5", and then restart BIDS. Then it works again.

http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/viewtopic.php?t=12430

What you do is disable the plugin, so after that, it will not work within BIDS (though - I don't see any reason for using it within BIDS anyways, but I just wanted to point it out). Also - even if you uncheck it in BIDS, it still works in SSMS (SQL Management Studio).

::David_S
Paul Stephenson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the BIDS workaround, and for confirming that SQL Prompt 5 still works in SSMS afterwards!

Regards,
Paul
SiO2y

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Still happens in 5.1 (and it's worse!) Reply with quote

I've recently upgraded SQL prompt to version 5.1 (build 5.1.4.11).
Beforehand I'd disabled SQL Prompt in BIDS and everything worked fine.
Since the upgrade, every time I load BIDS the checkbox is ticked (even if I unticked it then restarted BIDS properly) and previews still crash BIDS regardless.
SiO2y

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Still happens in 5.1 (and it's worse!) Reply with quote

Worked out the problem. I didn't have admin rights so when I tried to update Visual Studio to remove the add-in, the settings weren't saved.
Ran VS as admin and made the changes, now it all works fine.
WeeeBob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Version 5.1.6.35 Still has problem Reply with quote

Sad

Just installed SQL prompt 5.1.6.35 , and it caused same problems with VS2008 crashing out when trying to preview SQL2008R2 report.

Disabled as described above and at least I can get on with my work now!!
Bill_Ross

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Sql Prompt crashes VS2010 when I add a snippet in SSMS! Reply with quote

To reproduce... I have VS2010 open while creating a snippet. This the from the Event Viewer:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] SSMS Integration Pack 1

- EventID 16

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 3

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2011-07-07T19:04:34.000000000Z

EventRecordID 43

Channel Red Gate Software

Computer junk.junk.net

Security

- EventData

ngWrapper.LogManager #18:Unhandled Exception: Common Language Runtime detected an invalid program.. IsTerminating : False System.InvalidProgramException: Common Language Runtime detected an invalid program. at RedGate.SqlPrompt.Engine.Snippets.SnippetManager.<m_Sentinel_Changed>b__4(Object ) at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallbackInternal(_ThreadPoolWaitCallback tpWaitCallBack) at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object state)

This event is not displayed correctly because the underlying XML is not well formed. Below is the raw text of the event.

32200x8000000000000044Red Gate Softwarejunk.junk.net. #1:Failed to initialize IPC System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Failed to create an IPC Port: Access is denied. at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcServerChannel.StartListening(Object data) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcServerChannel..ctor(IDictionary properties, IServerChannelSinkProvider sinkProvider, CommonSecurityDescriptor securityDescriptor) at ..()

This event is not displayed correctly because the underlying XML is not well formed. Below is the raw text of the event.

32200x8000000000000045Red Gate Softwarejunk.junk.net. #1:Failed to acquire mutex - IPNService quitting System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Failed to create an IPC Port: Access is denied. at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcServerChannel.StartListening(Object data) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcServerChannel..ctor(IDictionary properties, IServerChannelSinkProvider sinkProvider, CommonSecurityDescriptor securityDescriptor) at ..() at ...ctor(Timer timer,  requestHandler, EventHandler exitHandler) at ...ctor() at ..() at RedGate.IPNShared.CommonUtils.DoWithMutex(MutexType mutexType, TimeSpan delay, Action action) at RedGate.IPNShared.CommonUtils.DoWithMutex(MutexType mutexType, Action action) at ..()
Bill_Ross

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Additional info Reply with quote

I haven't installed your Integration tool... could that be the problem?
Paul Stephenson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the report about Visual Studio crashing when adding a snippet. I can confirm that this is an issue with SQL Prompt 5.1.6 when running inside Visual Studio (it doesn't happen on SSMS). This has been assigned issue number SP-4009 and we'll address it in the next bug-fix release.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Paul
rcampbellwhite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
issue number SP-4009

Hi Paul,

Do you have an ETA on this fix?
Paul Stephenson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rcampbellwhite,

Yes, I'm pleased to say that SP-4009 was fixed in SQL Prompt 5.1.8 and is now available. Please see my announcement.

Regards,
Paul
cousinsp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: BIDS still crashing Reply with quote

I have SQL Prompt 5.1.8.2 installed, but still having the same problem in BIDS 2008. When adding an expression to define the colour of a text field, previewing the report causes BIDS to crash. I've disabled SQL Prompt in BIDS, and everything is fine.
cwallis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: BIDS 2008 R2 crashing Reply with quote

Just updated to the latest version SQL Prompt 5.2.0.5 and still getting crashes in BIDS 2008 R2 when you click Previrew to view a report. Again disabling SQL Prompt in BIDS is a work around
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2