Red Gate forums :: View topic - How to debug an obfuscated and merged assemblies.
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SmartAssembly 5
SmartAssembly 5 forum

How to debug an obfuscated and merged assemblies.

Search in SmartAssembly 5 forum
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
rtom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: How to debug an obfuscated and merged assemblies. Reply with quote

After a set of assemblies where merged and obfuscated, the program will no longer run. Is it possible to debug obfuscated code. I attached a debugger to it, but the call stack is mangled. Is there an easy way to find out what is wrong, and were in the code this is happening

Thanks
slaphead99

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, absoultely- this is what the "self-diagnosis" mode is all about. Its like the local version of the unhandled exception reporting feature (which works just as well too - except there is the "middle-man" of report transmission). So just apply the self-diagnosis feature.
rtom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Not having much success with smart assembly tool Reply with quote

I have a fairly large project that brings in a large number of 3rd party assemblies. After obfuscation, I get error messages with funny character strings. These are likely related to messages with substituted strings.

I tried various Smart assembly options, to try and get my program to run after going through the tool. For example, I just reduced it to dependency merging and embedding and pruning and now my application no longer runs. Seems to be related to web service calls.

There must be a set of rules for exclusions that we can apply to ensure error messages are displayed properly. Any docs outlining best practices for obfuscation?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1