Red Gate forums :: View topic - Auto document foreign key descriptions
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Doc 2
SQL Doc 2 forum

Auto document foreign key descriptions

Search in SQL Doc 2 forum
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
janie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Auto document foreign key descriptions Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a question.

I have added a description to a column [column a] in a table [table 1]. I have another table [table 2] that has a column [column b] which is a foreign key to [table 1].[column a]. The description that I added in table 1 for column a has not filtered down to either the column description (column b) nor the foreign key description for table 2.

Is this the intended behaviour? Can a feature be added to enable the description for a column in one table be applied to all other tables that reference it?

Just out of interest is there an estimated time frame for the next release?
David Atkinson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... nice idea. So effectively all columns that are linked via a FK relationship would have the same description?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who would like this behavior. Are there cases where people would want these descriptions to be different?

David Atkinson
Product Manager
Red Gate Software
aculver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer they NOT be the same. In many instances, the documentation (and even the column name) at opposite ends of an FK relationship are quite different.

But there would be value in showing the opposing column name and documentation while editing an FK column, making it easier to refer to the other and allowing cut and paste (which would cover Janie's suggestion too).

Andrew Culver
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1