Red Gate forums :: View topic - How to compare individual objects?
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Comparison SDK Previous Versions
SQL Comparison SDK Previous Versions forum

How to compare individual objects?

Search in SQL Comparison SDK Previous Versions forum
Jump to:  
acaterino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: How to compare individual objects? Reply with quote

Where I currently work as a developer, it is my role to create stored procs necessary for my projects; however, when it comes to deployment it is up to our DBA's to deploy the stored procs accross our multiple databases. Unfortunately the DBA's do not use RedGate tools to help with this and do it manually and sometimes they forget to deploy to some databases.

I'm trying to figure out a way that I can create a list of database objects that I have either created or modified for my projects and then take a snapshot of my database that I know is accurate and then compare just those individual objects to the production databases to make sure things got deployed correctly. Or possibly use the script files instead of a snapshot of the database.

So far I haven't found a way to compare individual objects. The only thing I've been able to do is use CompareWith and get all the differences and then loop through them looking at the names for the specific ones I'm interested. Is this the best way?
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anthony,

The SDK works like the commercial version of SQL Compare. You must compare everything, then filter out objects that you do not want to synchronize. Once the comparison completes, the collection of differences can be enumerated and examined using code. That's the only way that it works.
acaterino

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response. That's what I assumed, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1