Red Gate forums :: View topic - Keeping the database in sync with checked in files
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
Source Control for Oracle
Source Control for Oracle forum

Keeping the database in sync with checked in files

Search in Source Control for Oracle forum
Jump to:  
tomasscott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Keeping the database in sync with checked in files Reply with quote

I am right now evaluating Source Control for Oracle and am trying to test branching. Having read the guides online I have made the steps in "Create a new database for the branch".

I am using TFS as Source Control repository.

I have a folder with my "Main" schema. This folder started empty but was populated by Source Control for Oracle as a first step.
In TFS I did Branch this to a new branch called "Dev" which is a folder on my hard drive and in Source Control.
When I created a new database for the branch I pointed out an old Oracle database used for development a year ago. Then I pointed out my new Dev-branch.
What I wanted to do was to sync the master information from the Source Control into the Oracle Database. I thought this was the operation "Get Latest" but the GUI instead implies I have 1843 changes to check in...

How can I achieve what I want to do?
And what is the purpose of Get Latest? Will that tab only be populated when someother person has checked in changes that I have not received yet?

Thanks!
Michael Christofides

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tomas,

Firstly, apologies for the very late response. I see you've since had conversations with my colleague Ben, but for completeness, and for anybody else who comes across this, I have attempted to answer your questions below.

Regarding a way to achieve getting a database in sync with a new branch in source control: the easiest way is using our Schema Compare tool to compare from a check out of the files to the database server. Using this tool you can enforce the direction and thus achieve what you were hoping.

Regarding Get Latest: this feature was designed for users who decide to set up private (aka "sandboxed" or "dedicated") schemas for each member of the team, not for branch switching. So if Ben and I are both working on our our own private versions of a schema, both linked to the same repository, I can use Get Latest to retrieve changes made by Ben that are not in my schema. We use our schema comparison technology to make changes in a sensible, data preserving and dependency aware way.

I hope that helps. Ideally we'd like to introduce a much simpler "switch branch" feature in a later version, but it's not something we have immediate plans for.

Best regards,
Michael Christofides

Product Manager
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1