Red Gate forums :: View topic - Can't Pinpoint Cause of CPU Usage (Silverlight)
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
ANTS Performance Profiler 8
ANTS Performance Profiler 8 forum

Can't Pinpoint Cause of CPU Usage (Silverlight)

Search in ANTS Performance Profiler 8 forum
Jump to:  
BSayatovic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Can't Pinpoint Cause of CPU Usage (Silverlight) Reply with quote

I'm using ANTS Performance Profiler 8.3 to try and track down the source of a CPU usage problem in my Silverlight application. After a couple of hours of usage, the CPU usage settles at 50% (on a dual-core computer; 25% on a quad-core, etc.) even when the application is effectively idle.

Here's a timeline:

During the first "idle" period, CPU usage is effectively 0%. During the last "idle" period, CPU usage is at 50%. I've compared the "hot spots" in call tree, and method grid and the hit counts, CPU ticks, etc. of the methods at each point are basically the same. It seems as though nothing *within* my application is what's using the CPU.

Can anyone confirm that it is possible to see CPU usage in the timeline of 50% (which I believe is measured by the Windows Performance Counter for the process) while ANTS Performance Profiler's own instrumentation doesn't actually catch the culprit?
Chris.Allen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but its very hard to know what the actual question is and, further, what the data you are using is- would you mind sending your results in to us at support@red-gate.com please? I'm sure all will be a lot clearer then. Smile
BSayatovic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

I somehow missed your forum reply until now. I've just e-mailed support directly.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1