Red Gate forums :: View topic - Automatically logging errors and terminating applications
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SmartAssembly 6
SmartAssembly 6 forum

Automatically logging errors and terminating applications

Search in SmartAssembly 6 forum
Jump to:  
jdh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Automatically logging errors and terminating applications Reply with quote

I have a customer-facing application that needs to alert me when an error/exception occurs, and then terminate itself.

I've been able to log errors via the Error Reporting feature of Smart Assembly, but I've not found a way to automatically log the error (without the error reporting window coming up, requiring user interaction) and terminate the application. Is this possible?
Chris.Allen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the requirement is:

- non-interactive mechanism of trapping and sending report for all unhandled exceptions and then terminating application?

Out of the box you do get a - non-interactive mechanism of trapping and sending report for all unhandled exceptions (its the error report template: 'Without UI') but I couldn't guarantee it always terminates.

For that I would recommend using the SDK so you can adapt the given templates with more specific code. The SDK comes with the professional edition.
jdh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the route I'm currently exploring.

I believe I can get what I want. I'll be sure to post back here when I find a working solution.
jdh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris.Allen, you got me on the right track by mentioning the 'Without UI' module. Not sure how I didn't see it.

I documented my quick solution on StackOverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19319997/automatically-log-error-and-terminate-application-with-smartassembly
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1