Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Prompt 6
SQL Prompt 6 forum

Feature Request: Generate Procedure Stub

Search in SQL Prompt 6 forum
Jump to:  
crutledge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Feature Request: Generate Procedure Stub Reply with quote

When I'm working in Visual Studio, I'll often write calls to functions I haven't written yet. I know what I want the name, inputs and outputs to be, but I haven't gotten around to writing the actual function. If I have a call to a non-existent function in VS, I can right-click the missing function and select 'Generate Method Stub'. VS then creates the basic syntax of the function with the correct input and output variable types.

It would be great if SQL Prompt did something similar. If I'm in a SQL script and I write 'EXEC NonExistentProcedure @Param1=1, @Param2=2', that procedure is underlined with a squiggly red line because it doesn't exist. But since I'm using the 'EXEC' syntax, we know it's going to be a stored procedure with that name (unless I just misspelled an existing procedure). And we know it will have at least 2 parameters name @Param1 and @Param2.

It would be great if I could right-click that underlined procedure name and SQL Prompt would give me the option to generate a CREATE PROCEDURE script for a procedure called NonExistentProcedure and 2 parameters (@Param1 and @Param2).

It would be extra special cool if it could derive the datatype from the value being passed to the non-existent parameter, but I would be happy with just a datatype placeholder.

Thanks!

Chris Rutledge
Anu Deshpande

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your post and we appreciate the requirement specified by you.

Please feel free to add your vote or if there is one already kindly vote for it:

http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/94413-sql-prompt-feature-suggestions

And then the project manager can directly decide what category this requirement comes under?
E-mail: support@red-gate.com
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1