SQL Prompt 6 forum

sql prompt performance bad

Search in SQL Prompt 6 forum
Jump to:  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Mikeh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Using the version 6.0.0.441 and I have to say it is a major disappointment in performance. I'm on line 385 of a script file and significant lag is experienced when typing.

Script is made up of creation of 2 temp tables and 5 large queries that insert into real and temp tables.

I also experience similar slow performance on scripts that had a number of table valued UDF's involved.

When I get done with a production priority I can do more testing, but right now I think the team has some serious work ahead of them. I have to question the test sets redgate works with. They are obviously woefully insufficient.

p.s. that was from me... I was logged in but it didn't stick I guess.
Sam Vanga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experience the same slowness and lag other users posted in this thread with v6. The script is about 500 lines with table variables and temp tables and it's painfully slow to type or even highlight portion of the code. I unistalled v6 and back to 5.2 which is just fine. Hope you're able to reproduce and get 6 working!
Mikeh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Aaron Law wrote:
I've just uploaded 6.1.0.42 which includes the work I was doing with offloading the the prompt work to a thread, this should hopefully remove all of the lag you're seeing in ssms.

I will try this version when I am not having to use my system and can reinstall. Partial searching is on though I can test with it off.
CGLuttrell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron, I downloaded your 6.1.0.42 version and it does seem better for me so far. I turned off synonyms but did not see the option for partial matches. I will continue to test and monitor for future updates.
kondrich

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am referring to SSMS built in IntelliSense that I completely deactivated to prevent lags in SQL Prompt (auto-list members was already deactivated to get suggestions just from SQL Prompt).

I just checked my display drivers: They are up to date (both checked Dell and Intel driver sites).

We tried a remote session once, but it did not work. I suspect our restricted network via a proxy that requires authentication. But we could try once more...

After typing "ssf <tab>" the list of suggested objects displays. When hitting cursor down reasonably fast, I could hit it ten times until the the cursor actually moves down.
ephraim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: 6.1.0.42 Reply with quote

I downloaded 6.1.0.42 and it indeed performs much better, thanks. I got one crash which automailed through to you. I'll test further in the next days and let you know how it goes, but so far its promising. Thanks, Ephraim
ephraim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: 6.1.0.42 Reply with quote

I downloaded 6.1.0.42 and it indeed performs much better, thanks. I got one crash which automailed through to you. I'll test further in the next days and let you know how it goes, but so far its promising. Thanks, Ephraim
Aaron Law

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CGLuttrell and Ephraim, I'm very glad to hear this seems to have fixed the lag for you.
I received the error report sent in and should have a fix in 6.1.0.46.

Klaus, your problem does sound like it's different from what the other people in the thread are seeing. Can I ask which features of the built in IntelliSense do you use?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Aaron Law wrote:
CGLuttrell and Ephraim, I'm very glad to hear this seems to have fixed the lag for you.
I received the error report sent in and should have a fix in 6.1.0.46.

Much better... I'm curious how these type of issues make it past usability testing.
kondrich

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have SSMS IntelliSense turned on with "Underline errors" and "Outline statements" activated. "Autolist parameters" and "Parameter information" are turned off (I think those are standard settings).
I tried to turn off "Underline errors" and "Outline statements" (just IntelliSense remains on), but this does not change anything.
Aaron Law

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Klaus, I've logged your bug as SP-4862 in our bug tracking system, I guess the workaround for now is to disable the native intellisense. One possibility is for us to implement these features in prompt so the native intellisense doesn't need to be turned on.

Ephraim and CGLuttrell: I've just released 6.1 as our stable build if you'd like to update.
kondrich

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron, thank you for releasing 6.1.

Disabling native Intellisense indeed removes all lags as a workaround. I guess that it would be a long way to re-implement all features of Intellisense.
I just want to know where this lags come from. As I checked on our servers, a faster hardware would minimize them. However, they do not disappear.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: sql prompt performance bad Reply with quote

ephraim wrote:
Hi, I just upgraded to sqlprompt 6, performance is really bad on code suggestions. Serious keyboard lag. Was okay on 5.2. Upgraded to 6.1 beta... slightly better but still unacceptable.

Not really a response to this issue, but I ran into a major roadblock with SQL Prompt 6. I have a migration process that runs to insert data from an old Visual FoxPro application into SQL Server using an ODBC connection.

Typically this takes about an hour and a half to upload about 2.5 million rows which, while not stunning, is acceptable.

After installing SQL Prompt 6.0 this process had only loaded about 900,000 rows after running for 5 hours!!!

Just uninstalling SQL Prompt 6 and reverting to SQL Prompt 5.3 restored the performance to the expected level.

I have no idea why this version should have caused a problem with inserts via ODBC, but it certainly looks as if it did.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3