SQL Prompt 5 forum

SQL Prompt 5 working very slow on SSMS 2012

Search in SQL Prompt 5 forum
Jump to:  
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Aaron Law

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update!

From the sounds of it I should focus on script parsing performance if longer scripts don’t show suggestions immediately but short ones do.

We've offloaded the suggestion processing to a thread which avoids locking up SSMS on more complex scripts but if the thread hasn't completed in time then no suggestions will popup unless you explicitly ask for them with ctrl+space. We’re looking into fixing this at the moment.

Expanding wildcards and qualify object names should be working in stored procedures and could be another bug, which I'll look into.
Ar4i

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not getting a popup immediately is definitely better than everything freezing for a few seconds on every keystroke even when just moving the cursor with arrows and mouse. Maybe you could avoid doing any parsing while just moving around and not typing? With the official beta version it freezes even when clicking to open a menu.
Other than that, so far this version works pretty well.

P.S. Expand wildcards seems to be CASE SENSITIVE thats why it isn't working in some cases, our databases are CI. Thats true for other functions as well and let to the confusion that there is a problem in SPs with declared and temporary tables.
LSZ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
sorry that I haven't been participating in this thread for a long time, but I was quite busy at work. In fact while working I was testing this unstable release that Aaron posted and I hold the opinion that it's better and even on larger scripts it's not being so sluggish.

I would like to share few of my observations:
1. Suggestions box is still taking some time to show up on my large database, maybe because of the RegEx feature that is searching for the match in table names etc. ?
2. We are using a lot of XML in my company, eg.
Code:
;WITH XMLNAMESPACES
(
   'http://tempuri/targetns/v3' AS tns
)
SELECT
   t_si.position,
   row.value('./something_1', 'VARCHAR(50)'),
   row.value('./something_2', 'DATETIME'),
   row.value('./something_3', 'INT')
FROM
   @someItems t_si
   CROSS APPLY @XMLVar.nodes('/tns:root/list/relatedItem[position()=sql:column("t_si.position")]') T1(row)

maybe this is the case ?
3. The table variables (DECLARE @t_name TABLE...) are not showing up in suggestions box.
4. In my error log I am seeing such entires:
Quote:
30 Aug 2013 08:09:44,995 [Main] WARN RedGate.SQLQueryKeeper.TabWatcher - Exception trying to log MostRecentView information
System.Runtime.InteropServices.InvalidComObjectException: COM object that has been separated from its underlying RCW cannot be used.
at #B4sb.#D4sb.#gCSb()

Aaron, when you are planning to release the stable version ?

Regards,
LSZ
Aaron Law

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LSZ,
Unfortunately it's going to be a while before this is made into a stable version as we've found a few problems with these changes that'll require a bit of a restructure of prompt to solve.

I'm still looking into it and will try to release another build with this change and some bug fixes soon.
LSZ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
All right, I'm looking forward to next build(s), because the build that I'm using now expires 2013-09-30 Smile

Regards,
LSZ
Aaron Law

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished fixing the expand wildcards and a few other issues and released these changes as part of our 6.1 beta which can be downloaded from http://download.red-gate.com/EAP/SQLPrompt/SQLPrompt.zip
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2