Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Data Generator 2
SQL Data Generator 2 forum

Computed columns

Search in SQL Data Generator 2 forum
Jump to:  
HugoKornelis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Computed columns Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm trying to use SQL Data Generator (version 2.0.3.1) to generate extra data for the FactResellerSales table in the AdventureWorksDW2012 sample database. But in order to make it match the pattern of the rest, I find that some features are missing from Data Generator.

One of them is for generating columns that would have been a computed column in an OLTP database. In a datawarehouse, such columns are usually stored as regular columns to get the best possible performance on DW queries.

An example in the table mentioned above is ExtendedAmount - almost equal to UnitPrice * OrderQuantity. I see no way to generate ExtendedAmount values that are actually "correct".

Is there a way to do this with the current product and I just fail to see it? And if not, is there a wishlist where I can add this?

Thanks in advance!
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hugo,

I'd give you the exact same answer to that as I did to your similar query here: http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=18089

It would be nice if we supported this but in the meantime, you can use either the Python or Ruby generators.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1