Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Backup 7
SQL Backup 7 forum

Restoring to a different SQL Server

Search in SQL Backup 7 forum
Jump to:  
maddave

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Restoring to a different SQL Server Reply with quote

Hi,
Everything I read seems to say this is possible through the GUI, but I cannot see the option to do it.
I am trying to restore a database taken on ServerA, via SQL Backup, to ServerB using SQL Backup Gui. Lets say to allow a test server to be created.

ServerA is taking regular daily backups created using the GUI Tool.
I have added ServerB to the GUI and installed the server components and licensed it.
I right click on ServerB, select restore. I then select "browse for backup files to restore" and select ServerA as the backup to restore.
I then click on Add files and browse to my central backup store and select the last full backup for ServerA.
I then click Next, but shown a screen "step 2 of 4", which shows the Destination Database is set to ServerA - the original SQL Server and I cannot change this. I only have the options to overwrite the existing database or create a new one. I tested this and created a new one and it does indeed write the backup to the original server.

This article http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/content/knowledgebase/SQL_Backup/KB200710000174
explains this process as I have, but no where does it say you can restore the database to a different sql server, despite it's title!

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

*******EDIT***
I've just realised my mistake with this and now have it working. It's not clear on the screens, but the first screen, I should leave set at Server B, and then simply add files from ServerA. On the "step 1 of 4" it says "Backups to restore SQL Server:..." And this drop down should be set to the destination SQL Server, not as it implies, the source SQL Server. I have this working now.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1