Red Gate forums :: View topic - microsoft.Visualbasic.powerpacks error in 3.1.4.72
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Source Control 3
SQL Source Control 3 forum

microsoft.Visualbasic.powerpacks error in 3.1.4.72

Search in SQL Source Control 3 forum
Jump to:  
wtjones

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: microsoft.Visualbasic.powerpacks error in 3.1.4.72 Reply with quote

I just upgraded to 3.1.4.72 from a fresh install and I get this when I try to 'edit comparison options'

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.Vs, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

I installed the vb powerpack 3 but it did not fix the issue.
wtjones

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to work around this by copying Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.Vs.dll to the Redgate folder.

I obtained this from my VS 2010 installation at C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\VBPowerPacks\v10.0\Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.Vs.dll

Redgate may want to bundle this into the installer Wink
David A

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.Vs.dll still not found Reply with quote

I installed VisualBasic Power Pack 3.5 from this URL: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25169

On my 64-bit machine, it installed it here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Power Packs\3.0

I copied the file to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 3

Did not work in SSMS. Without removing the above copy, also copied it to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Data Compare 10

Still did not work. I suppose I should also mention I shutdown SSMS each time. There was also a companion XML file which I also tried copying.

Suggestions?
antiRev

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: v10 is 3.5 Reply with quote

The link supplied above is for version 3, it needs to be v3.5 which internally is v10, v3.0 is 9

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=145727&clcid=0x804
sgilboy

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is how I got around this error.... it was made difficult because the target machine doesn't have Studio installed meaning that the gacutil.exe wasn't installed either:

- Copied "Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.Vs.dll" from my development machine to our development SQL server (Windows 2008 R2).. it's in C:\Temp

- open a command prompt as "Run as Administrator"

- C:>explorer C:\Windows\assembly

- that will open an explorer window there

- go back to the command prompt and now type:

- C:>explorer C:\Temp

- that will open a second window

- drag the DLL from the second explorer window to the first and the DLL will be in the GAC !

Works !!

If you try to navigate around in the first explorer window you will "lose" your permissions, so just open two.... gotta love Windows....
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1