Red Gate forums :: View topic - Unmanaged Memory Leak?
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
ANTS Memory Profiler 7
ANTS Memory Profiler 7 forum

Unmanaged Memory Leak?

Search in ANTS Memory Profiler 7 forum
Jump to:  
aaronkupen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Unmanaged Memory Leak? Reply with quote

I have an C# console application running under the .net 4.0 framework with this and only this code.

Code:

static void Main(string[] args) {
     String line = Console.ReadLine();
}

I'm running ANTS Memory Profiler 7.4 on this application, and have noticed that the unmanaged memory of this application goes up with almost every snapshot. Can anyone explain how to correct this behavior, or provide clarification on why this is happening?
aaronkupen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if this is a completely ignorant statement, but during the process of attaching to an application -- does ANTS's memory footprint become a part of the process under test? Does the actual act of collecting and storing data of the desired process actually get inadvertently included in the unmanaged memory analysis?
jessica.ramos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all! Smile ANTS does cause some additional memory and processing overhead when you take a snapshot.

In the case of this application though, the increasing unmanaged memory is likely due to the CLR itself...

"The CLR itself uses unmanaged memory. If your application uses very little memory in total, the amount of memory used by the CLR may appear to take up a large percentage of the memory in use by the application.
If the amount of unmanaged memory used in your application is less than about 40MB, the CLR is likely to be the cause. "

(http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/content/ANTS_Memory_Profiler/help/7.4/amp_unmanaged_use)

I hope that information helps explain some things!
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1