Red Gate forums :: View topic - False Alert - Monitoring error (SQL Server data collection)
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Monitor 2
SQL Monitor 2 forum

False Alert - Monitoring error (SQL Server data collection)

Search in SQL Monitor 2 forum
Jump to:  
jonwilk

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: False Alert - Monitoring error (SQL Server data collection) Reply with quote

Hi

We're monitoring a SQL server that is receiving shipped transaction logs. This seems to randomly cause "Monitoring error (SQL Server data collection) (Raised - High)" Alerts to be raised.

I managed to catch one of these and looked at the conf log screen which showed this error:

9 May 2011 8:30 AM SQL #LVG Cannot connect SqlException Database 'xxxx' is being recovered. Waiting until recovery is finished.

As we're shipping a number of databases, this seems to show up quite frequently.

Is there anyway to customise the timeout period that this alert is configured to? Ie if we can increase it to wait at least 5 mins then it should stop all of the false alarms?

Many thanks
priyasinha

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your message.

Unfortunately, the current released version doesn't support any time period configuration for this alert. But we have implemented time tolerance for these alerts internally. This will be released as part of V 2.3 release which is due very soon.

Apart from these, we will also try to reproduce the scenario which you have described. Ideally, SQL Monitor should be able to handle databases which are restoring. Will post here after our investigation.

Thanks,
Priya
retracement

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Still don't see the functionality to customize Reply with quote

I still don't seem to be able to find the functionality to customize alerts for timeouts (as indicated in this thread to be introduced in the next version). This currently means that a regular daily task is to clear down hundreds of false alerts generated from sqlmonitor. Am I missing something or can we still not change the alert timeout for this event? We are running version 3.
priyasinha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

We do not allow customizing Monitoring error alert because they are important for the SQL Monitor to work as expected.

I would suggest that you investigate that why you are getting so many Monitoring error alerts. These alerts come up when any data collection fails. It is worth looking at the Base Monitor log files to see what data collection is failing and then investigating why?

Also, it is worth posting questions in SQL Monitor 3 forum and not SQL Monitor 2 forum. SQL Monitor 3 forum is active now and we would be responding much qucikly to question in that forum.

Thanks,
Priya
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1