Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
ANTS Memory Profiler 7
ANTS Memory Profiler 7 forum

Memory Management in ASP.NET Website

Search in ANTS Memory Profiler 7 forum
Jump to:  
valentim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Memory Management in ASP.NET Website Reply with quote

After spending a day learning about memory management I still have a big knowledge gap pertaining to a how a .net website manages memory (vs. an asp.net windows application).

Memory leaks in a windows app seem to make sense. Memory can be "held" during the lifetime of the app.

However, for a website, once the page lifecycle is complete (i.e. the page is rendered) I would have expected all memory to be released (except data in session memory). Now the CLR might be holding onto memory and doing it's own thing etc. but in terms of the .net application code that we developers write -- I would expect all that memory to be released auto-magically.

So when I see regex holding onto a string in the large object heap (after a page has been rendered) I don't understand conceptually how this is possible (for a website). So it makes it difficult to know how to approach a fix.

Thanks!
Chris.Allen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is try it and see- we have made the memory profiler as easy to use as is possible, yet still be very powerful.

Go through a session- take lots of snapshots and we would be happy to take a look at your saved results file if you send t to:

support@red-gate.com
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1