Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Source Control 3
SQL Source Control 3 forum

Continuous Integration with Cruisecontrol

Search in SQL Source Control 3 forum
Jump to:  
irishmaninada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Continuous Integration with Cruisecontrol Reply with quote

We are using Cruisecontrol for our CI, and I was wondering if any one has every set this up to use redgate tools for CI. Basically I want to be able to set up the CI, so that at a certain time in the day, it will move any db changes from dev to qa, so that the qa team can review and verify that everything is up and running. Any help on this would be appreciated, thanks.
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry nobody in the Red Gate community answered this. As the tools vendor, I don't feel we're really in a good position to tell you how you should go about setting up integration - everyone has their own ideas about what is good practice.

CruseControl does the scheduling of builds and gathering of reports - you could then use it to call MSBUILD or NANT to do the building. There are just so many ways to configure CruiseControl that the discussion about the merits of each would be a little long for a forum topic.

Basically, the Red Gate tools piece centers around SQL Compare and Data Compare command-lines. These can be called from CCNet or MSBUILD using an EXEC task, to do the work of checking out database scripts to a folder and building a database from that for testing, then use automated database test tools like SQL Test, and then output a migration script to upgrade a database.

There are some white papers we have done that you may want to read here:
http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/automation-license-for-continuous-integration

Last edited by Brian Donahue on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
irishmaninada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: thanks for the links Reply with quote

Brian,

Thank you for the link below. Smile

JD
vincentj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I apologize if my reply is untimely. We've had CI running with CruiseControl.Net for quite some time now. CCNet calls a NAnt script which does some Subversion stuff (check out the database scripts, etc.) and then calls the Redgate tools to sync the databases.

It works pretty well now, but we did run into some problems along the way. I hoped we could just sync the schema then the data, but it wasn't that simple. We eventually ended up with a 5-step process to sync the database to SVN.

I detailed the steps in another post so I won't copy it here. I'm not sure that it's the best way to do CI, but it works for us.
David Atkinson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the build scripts available here?

http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/automation-license-for-continuous-integration/free-resources
vincentj

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check it out, thanks!
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1