Red Gate forums :: View topic - I like sql compare. 2 features to turn like into love.
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Compare 10
SQL Compare 10 forum

I like sql compare. 2 features to turn like into love.

Search in SQL Compare 10 forum
Jump to:  
kcroke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: I like sql compare. 2 features to turn like into love. Reply with quote

1) When adding a new not-null column with no default, allow me to specify a default. We have our own DB source control procedures so have no need for "RedGate Source Control" integration for this functionality.

2) Allow me to pick which columns to deploy when creating a deployment script.

Thanks,
Kevin
eddie davis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kcroke

Thank you for your forum post and great news you like using SQL Compare.

With regards to your comments:
Quote:
When adding a new not-null column with no default, allow me to specify a default. We have our own DB source control procedures so have no need for "RedGate Source Control" integration for this functionality.

To work around this you can deploy a migration script which will add a default value for you. For further information regarding migration scripts, please take a look at this help ARTICLE.

Quote:
2) Allow me to pick which columns to deploy when creating a deployment script.

As you have found there is no feature to pick individual columns when creating a deployment script. There I have added the details of your post to an existing feature request whose reference is SC-4566.

Alternatively, you could also add a post to the SQL Compare User Voice forum - http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/141379-sql-compare-feature-suggestions
These forums are monitored by our developers and allow our users to request features and vote on them.
If a request receives significant support the feature may be included in a future release.

Many Thanks
Eddie
E-mail: support@red-gate.com
kcroke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

eddie davis wrote:

With regards to your comments:
Quote:
When adding a new not-null column with no default, allow me to specify a default. We have our own DB source control procedures so have no need for "RedGate Source Control" integration for this functionality.

To work around this you can deploy a migration script which will add a default value for you. For further information regarding migration scripts, please take a look at this help ARTICLE.

I appreciate the url and had already read the article. As I had said in my original post, we have our own Source Control solution. If the only solution for this one feature would be to purchase a $400/per developer piece of software, we will have to pass. Do you have any other solutions that don't involve SQL Source Control?

Thanks!
eddie davis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the delaying in replying back to you.

Sadly the only advice I can give to you, is you to either specify a default value or edit the script to modify the column to allow nulls.

I have added the details of this forum post to an existing feature request SC-1428 for SQL Compare users to be able to provide a default value.

I have also marked the feature request for review.

Many Thanks
Eddie
E-mail: support@red-gate.com
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1