Red Gate forums :: View topic - SmartAssembly build failed. Type initializer threw exception
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SmartAssembly 6
SmartAssembly 6 forum

SmartAssembly build failed. Type initializer threw exception

Search in SmartAssembly 6 forum
Jump to:  
KirillSk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: SmartAssembly build failed. Type initializer threw exception Reply with quote

Hi, I am using SmartAssembly 6.1 in my build tasks.
Here is fragment of my .csproj file.
Code:
<UsingTask TaskName="SmartAssembly.MSBuild.Tasks.Build" AssemblyName="SmartAssembly.MSBuild.Tasks, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57" />
  <Target Name="BeforeBuild">
    <CreateItem Include="$(ProjectDir)\**\*.*.resx">
      <Output TaskParameter="Include" ItemName="EmbeddedResource" />
    </CreateItem>
  </Target>
  <Target Name="AfterBuild" Condition=" '$(Configuration)' == 'Release' AND '$(Obfuscate)' == 'Yes' ">
    <SmartAssembly.MSBuild.Tasks.Build ProjectFile="CoreDomain.saproj" MarkAsReleased="True" />
  </Target>

I get following error when start building:
SmartAssembly build failed: The type initializer for 'SmartAssembly.ConsoleApp' threw an exception.
At the same time if I launch SmartAssembly application, create new project and build it, build succeeds. What could be wrong?
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not enough information in the error message to say what the problem is, but off the top of me head I would say it was something to do with Log4Net. Because SA has to share its' process space with other add-ins, I've found some of them using different versions of the third-party log4net dll, and if an incompatible version gets loaded, it will cause a problem in the Visual Studio build.

The only way I've found around that is to not use the MSBUILD task DLL and change the post-build action to an EXEC task instead.
KirillSk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Brian Donahue wrote:
There is not enough information in the error message to say what the problem is, but off the top of me head I would say it was something to do with Log4Net. Because SA has to share its' process space with other add-ins, I've found some of them using different versions of the third-party log4net dll, and if an incompatible version gets loaded, it will cause a problem in the Visual Studio build.

The only way I've found around that is to not use the MSBUILD task DLL and change the post-build action to an EXEC task instead.

That works perfectly, thank you!
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1