Red Gate forums :: View topic - Can I create a "stand alone" data migration script?
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Source Control 3
SQL Source Control 3 forum

Can I create a "stand alone" data migration script?

Search in SQL Source Control 3 forum
Jump to:  
jswartsel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Can I create a "stand alone" data migration script? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

My team is evaluating SQL Source Control and we are hung up on something. I know that you can create custom migration scripts and associate them with a change-set (ala schema change). So for example if I am adding a non-nullable column to a table with records in it, I could attach a custom migration script that would provide values.

Now let's say I've been given a requirement that in the next version of our software, all e-mail addresses in a particular column should be updated to be in ALL CAPS. This would be accomplished by a single UPDATE statement, but wouldn't require any schema changes.

As a developer, I would want to be able to check this update script in to source control along with all my other source controlled scripts, so that when I go to build, our Continuous Integration process will update all email addresses in the QA database. Similarly, I want this script to run when we deploy to production using the accumulated set of change-set scripts.

Is there any way to check in a data-only migration script that is not associated with a schema change?

Thanks,
Justin Swartsel
David Atkinson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't yet possible, although it's something that we'd like to allow eventually. The workaround is to put the data migration script in a migration script alongside a schema change.

David Atkinson
Red Gate
bdw429s

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the same question in this thread:
http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/viewtopic.php?t=15664

I finally found this User Voice request which I voted for. Please vote for it too.

http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39019-sql-source-control/suggestions/2565864-create-migration-script-without-changes-to-any-dat
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1