Red Gate forums :: View topic - Centralize database that contains every Column Name and Desc
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Doc 2
SQL Doc 2 forum

Centralize database that contains every Column Name and Desc

Search in SQL Doc 2 forum
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Windmill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Centralize database that contains every Column Name and Desc Reply with quote

Is there a desire for a centalized table or database that contains every Column name and description so that I can apply the same identical description to all Columns across all tables that are identical.

For example we have many tables with the Column Name "AccountKey" that we only want to document once, and so when that Column Name is used in all tables it has the same description.
eddie davis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Windmill

Unfortunately to my knowledge you are the only customer who is requesting such a feature for SQL Doc.

Sadly, I cannot submit a feature request on your behalf at this time due to a permissions error to the SQL Doc Feature Request system. Once I can obtain the required permissions, I will submit a feature request for you.

Many Thanks
Eddie
E-mail: support@red-gate.com
Windmill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I was taking a long shot.

The issue that we are wrestling with and you may know the answer is that we use the same name (e.g. AccountKey) and we want to be able to maintail a central database so that the description is identicial across all talbes when the Column name is "AccountKey". Andy ideas?

Thanks again.
eddie davis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your patience.

I have submitted a feature request for SQL Doc to be able to hold a centralized information of common object names and their descriptions. The feature request reference is SDOC-1485.

Please be aware that I cannot guarantee that the feature request submitted will be successful. Or if approval is given, what future version of SQL Doc you will see the feature appear.

This forum post will be updated when further information is received.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Many Thanks
Eddie
E-mail: support@red-gate.com
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1