Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
ANTS Performance Profiler 7
ANTS Performance Profiler 7 forum

Trouble profiling WCF 3.5 in IIS 6

Search in ANTS Performance Profiler 7 forum
Jump to:  
dangerwit

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Trouble profiling WCF 3.5 in IIS 6 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm trying to use profiler 7 (full version) to profile a WCF service hosted in IIS 6, on Win Server 2003. I am having trouble getting any meaningful trace in the profiler. I don't know if they are related but here are the steps.

Using original port
1. Installed profiler 7 on existing QA environment.
2. Run profiler, start a new session
a. Select ASP.NET web application (IIS)
b. Enter root of service in URL (e.g. http://localhost/MyService); also tried with actual url (http://localhost/MyService/Service.svc) with identical results.
c. Profiling mode: Line-level (most detailed)
d. Profile on original port
3. Start

I do see w3wp and friends recycling, and after generating traffic from a remote client, I see activity. However, the code trace stops at a constructor and does not allow me to deep-dive into it. I can point it to the single source code file (service.cs), and it shows the right code, but it does not allow me to deep-dive past that one assembly.

Using unused port
When I try to do the same with an unused port (e.g. 81), the site never responds. That is, trying to get the wsdl (http://localhost/MyService/MyService.svc?wsdl) shows a 404 both locally and remotely (using the server's IP of course).

I am much more interested in using port 80 and trying to get my code deep dive to work. I looked at the integration directions on here, and I didn't see anything relevant.

Oh, and I'm doing all this on the server as an administrator, if that matters.

Any ideas? I am clearly doing things incorrectly.

*Phil
dangerwit

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that the object being initialized is another in-house library for which we have source code. The overall time for the object instantiation is shown, but shown as "JIT overhead 100%", and no extra timings.

Thanks again for any help,
*Phil[/img]
jessica.ramos

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

If I am understanding correctly.. the profiler works alright and remains attached to your application, but stops showing results after a certain point?

In case the site is breaking somehow with the line level option, does profiling in a less detailed setting change anything?
dangerwit

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the huge delay, many other irons in the fire here.

I will try a less-detailed level and post back.
dangerwit

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the things to try, I never tried this. Yes, I switched to method-level timings this morning and it works much better. It appears I can deep-dive into code as well.

Am I just missing out on line-level timings then? I still see timings for my functions, which is just fine.

*Phil
jessica.ramos

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's no problem--I'm glad to hear that things are working better with method level timings! Smile

If you were previously using one of the line-level profiling modes, these are more intrusive on your code which explains why it may have been breaking your site. You can read more about the different profiling modes here: http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/content/ANTS_Performance_Profiler/articles/ProfilingModes
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1