Red Gate forums :: View topic - "Profiling stopped" immediately after I start profiling .XAP
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
ANTS Memory Profiler 7
ANTS Memory Profiler 7 forum

"Profiling stopped" immediately after I start profiling .XAP

Search in ANTS Memory Profiler 7 forum
Jump to:  
bboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: "Profiling stopped" immediately after I start profiling .XAP Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am running into a whole lot of issues and generally having a bad time with ANTS Memory profiler - I hope that someone will be able to help, else my license is going to be a big waste of $ and I'm going to be unhappy.

Now, I'm guessing there is something peculiar about my setup because I just cannot get a Silverlight Out of browser (OOB) to start profiling.

I get "Profiling stopped" immediately after I start profiling a .XAP directly. In some cases the OOB shows and in other cases, it doesn't show at all (different XAPs).

The logs show a message:

[Profiler pipe monitor] WARN RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.Basic.PipeConnection - Rejected a connection attempt from process ID 0x1118 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\sllauncher.exe'

- I've tried a bunch of different .xaps (so it's not that).
- I've reinstalled.
- I've tried using version 7 trial. (no luck) my license is for version 6 btw.
- In-browser works - but I need to profile OOB specific issues.

I want to focus on the issue above, but in case it's related - I also get an unhandled exception if I click on "Attach to a .NET 4 Process". I see the inner exception in the log says "RedGate.Memory.UI.UIFactory - System.UnauthorizedAccessException".

Please Help!? Any would be appreciated. Thanks.
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are already working on this issue via email. It's not going to be a simple answer due to the way Profiler interacts with code being profiled, unfortunately.
daShader

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having this very same issue. Was the cause for this identified? Is there some kind of fix?

10 Oct 2011 16:34:00.530 [Profiler pipe monitor] WARN RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.Basic.PipeConnection - Rejected a connection attempt from process ID 0xa6c 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\sllauncher.exe'
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no, the support call ended with no solution. I think he ended up running on another machine, in the end.

When profiler gets a connection coming in from a process being profiled, it checks that against a list of processes it expects to be profiled. sllauncher.exe isn't matching the list.
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, maybe it's not that simple - as with most things in the murky world of the Profiler code. Do you also see this in the log?
Quote:
Unable to connect to profiler: do not know how to send settings
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please try the following:
  • Profile a .NET Executable
  • In the executable, use c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
  • In the arguments, use /K ""c:\program files (x86)\microsoft silverlight\sllauncher.exe"/emulate:"c:\YourOOBAppFolder\YourOOBApp.xap" /origin:"c:\YourOOBAppFolder" /overwrite"
  • Start profiling

Basically, it looks like the Silverlight launcher exits and re-launches. cmd /K will keep the command window open so ANTS Memory Profiler will connect to anything that runs in that console session.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1