Red Gate forums :: View topic - restore database in SSIS using Extended stored procedure
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Backup Previous Versions
SQL Backup Previous Versions forum

restore database in SSIS using Extended stored procedure

Search in SQL Backup Previous Versions forum
Jump to:  
byong

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: restore database in SSIS using Extended stored procedure Reply with quote

I'm creating SSIS package to restore database using extended stored procedure format (of regate backup). The package was run successfully but the database is not restored. Do you know why?

How can I restore redgate backup in SSIS package?

Thanks,
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not well-versed in SSIS but I suspect that the restore operation most likely encountered a failure. The reason why SSIS would probably report success is because your restore script does not raise an error to SQL Server's execution engine. SQL Backup does not do this for you so it's necessary to perform error trapping and handling in your own SQL script task, for instance:
Code:
DECLARE @exitcode int
DECLARE @sqlerrorcode int
EXECUTE master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "... backup command goes here ..."', @exitcode OUT, @sqlerrorcode OUT
IF (@exitcode >= 500) OR (@sqlerrorcode <> 0)
BEGIN
RAISERROR ('SQL Backup failed with exit code: %d  SQL error code: %d', 16, 1, @exitcode, @sqlerrorcode)  /* raises error condition */
END

To check that your restore was successful (or failed) you may want to have a look at the SQL Backup log files in the %allusersprofile%\application data\red gate\sql backup\log.
wolfsvein

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This code works well, but for the SSIS side all you would need to do to capture the error is to use a ADO.net connection on your execute sql task.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1