Red Gate forums :: View topic - Error inserting into column type numeric(19,0)null
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Data Generator 1
SQL Data Generator 1 forum

Error inserting into column type numeric(19,0)null

Search in SQL Data Generator 1 forum
Jump to:  
jackson33

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Error inserting into column type numeric(19,0)null Reply with quote

I keep receiving the error below when trying to generate data for a column of type numeric(19,0)null...

[dbo].[SqlDataGeneratorTest]
The given value of type SqlDecimal from the data source cannot be converted to type decimal of the specified
target column.
System.InvalidOperationException: The given value of type SqlDecimal from the data source cannot be converted
to type decimal of the specified target column. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: The given value of type
SqlDecimal from the data source cannot be converted to type decimal of the specified target column. --->
System.ArgumentException: Parameter value '2' is out of range. --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.ConvertValue(Object value, _SqlMetaData metadata) --- End of inner
exception stack trace --- at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.ConvertValue(Object value, _SqlMetaData
metadata) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteToServerInternal() at
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteRowSourceToServer(Int32 columnCount) at
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteToServer(IDataReader reader) at az.a(CancellableController , Int32 ,
Int32 , ConnectionProperties , GenerateAction , SqlConnection , SDGProject , GenerationReport )

It would appear that 1 is a valid entry but 2 is not. Distribution is set to Sequential. Set unique is checked. Min is set at 1, max at 9,999,999,999,999,999,999.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Tim
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

Sorry, this does seem to be a bug in Data Generator. The reference number with our development team is SDG-857, and it is being reviewed. There is no known workaround at this time, short of changing the column datatype to an integer.
jackson33

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Thanks Brian Reply with quote

Thanks for looking into Brian. Unfortunately I don't control the data type of that column. If I figure out any work arounds I'll post them up.
paulj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has this issue been resolved? how can I work around this without having to change the type to an integer?
paulj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i figured out a work around. I had to write my own random decimal UDF and then use it in a sql statement for the random generated value for the specific columns that are of type decimal.

talk about a pain in the butt. the tool isn't very useful if it's going to bomb on any decimal datatype column....
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1