ANTS Profiler Previous Versions
ANTS Profiler Previous Versions forum

line-level times are not showing

Search in ANTS Profiler Previous Versions forum
Jump to:  
Go to page Previous  1, 2
MikeW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the PDB's are already grouped together in the website Bin folder along-side their respective dll's. Since Asp.Net website are generated on the fly with the aspnet_compiler (thats just how VS does it, alternately i could build it myself but with the same results), the resulting compilation is all put into another folder. Since this can be done over and over, the compiler attempts to be smart, renaming each new dll with some form of uniqueness (like MyFile.akwjedhaajd.dll for all ascx). I would imagine therein lies the problem. fyi, Line-level worked for me this last time i used it, but simply ceased to produce any results after i let the page sit, then tried a refresh. The graph showed activity, but selecting the new activity range, showed nothing at all, this is w/o compliling or anything. (i saw another thread on this somewhere here).
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Visual Studio does not do the compilation -- ASP .NET does. It creates temporary assemblies in the "Temporary ASP .NET Files" folder, but as long as the compilation mode is set to "debug" in the application's web.config, a corresponding PDB will be produced in the correct folder so this should always work with ANTS Profiler. If you have your own dlls that the web app references from your app_bin folder, these will need to be compiled as debug also and the correct pdb copied into the app_bin folder.

Regardless, you should always get results if you change from "only methods that have source" to "all methods". If you don't see anything then, and "hide insignificant methods" is off, then you have an entirely different problem. What it could be is that ASP .NET is recycling on you. This sounds like a possibility, if you have some results, and none after letting the application sit for ten minutes. The application could be timing out and the ASP .NET worker process exiting.
MikeW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned before, the pdb's are present in the app_bin.

As far as the timeout, your correct, but it should have fired up a new worker thread (or possibly snagged that last one depending on the pooling)... either way, Ants does show the activity but no code.
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try turning up the logging level to DEBUG and then see if there is any information in the logs about why it's not finding the source code?
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2