Red Gate forums :: View topic - "Too Many Files" error message.
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
Aardvark
Aardvark forum

"Too Many Files" error message.

Search in Aardvark forum
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Jason

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: "Too Many Files" error message. Reply with quote

Hi,

We have recently started having a problem with Aardvark. On Saturday 27 November, when a user clicked on an attached file, an error message was reported: "too many files". This also occured for me. Restarting IIS temporarally solved the problem. However, this morning (30 Nov), the error message was back. I tried restarting IIS, but this did not fix the problem, so instead, "Shut Down" and "Started" the component services, which has once again "fixed" the problem. I dont know how long this will fix for.

Do you have any ideas as to what is going wrong? The server is a 2003 server with a local SQL installation.

Thanks,

Jason
chris sampson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason,

May I ask, was anything put in your event logs at the time that this problem occured? Could you let me know what there is if so?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

No - there isn't anything out of the ordinary in the event logs, just the same old usual messages. I cant pinpoint an exact time, only a day (29 Nov) that the problem occurred, and there isnt anything.

Thanks,

Jason

chris sampson wrote:
Hi Jason,

May I ask, was anything put in your event logs at the time that this problem occured? Could you let me know what there is if so?
chris sampson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason,

Could you let us know the exact text for the error message and any numbers etc. associated with it.
Jason

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

All it says is "Too Many Files". Is there an aardvark log file which I can look through for an error number?

All I can tell you is that the page that throws the error is download.asp - probably line 42 (displayed on 75) - however, you probably knew that already.

chris sampson wrote:
Hi Jason,

Could you let us know the exact text for the error message and any numbers etc. associated with it.
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason,

From the Aardvark code it looks like there may be a potential problem if you have more than one entry in the attachments table for the same attachment on the same bug.

Maybe you can find out by running a query in the Aardvark database to find the records for the attachment:

Code:
SELECT * FROM Attachments WHERE CompanyID=<your company ID, from the Companies table> AND RecordID=<bug id>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

The problem was not specific to one particular bug id - it was all attachments, no matter which bug they were in.

I am not totally sure what you are asking me to look for - however, I did a quick check, and we do occasionally have the same file in the same bug - however, the stored filename is different. Is this any help?

Thanks

Jason

Brian Donahue wrote:
Hi Jason,

From the Aardvark code it looks like there may be a potential problem if you have more than one entry in the attachments table for the same attachment on the same bug.

Maybe you can find out by running a query in the Aardvark database to find the records for the attachment:

Code:
SELECT * FROM Attachments WHERE CompanyID=<your company ID, from the Companies table> AND RecordID=<bug id>
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason,

You can have many files with the same file name attached to an issue because the real 'physical' file name is a GUID. I've tested this bit and it works. It must be some system problem.
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason,

Do the filenames have speces in them? Maybe it would help to change download.asp so that the content-disposition header it sends is embedded in quotes.
Jason

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Too Many Files Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

Once again, the server has started reporting "too many files" when openning an attached file. There is no space in the file name, and no other error code (html source of error page below, if that helps)

I have also dumped the variables out that were sent to obBugs.GetAttachment (the command I think is throwing the error):
Session=3
lID=555
sPublicName=NullPointerException.jar
vBinary=
lSize=17089
sError=Too many files

Running the SQL command suggested earlier, I get the following data returned:

RecordID=555
CompanyID=3
Type=B
ItemID=3208
PrivateName=C:\Program Files\Aardvark\Uploads\Uploaded\3\{1B79A099-88B5-4F5E-B74D-6CA50B27D344}
PublicName=NullPointerException.jar
FileSize=17089
BugID=3208
ExternalPassword=

It is worth pointing out that it is not only the above file that causes the problem - attempting to open ANY file will cause this error.

<html><!-- #BeginTemplate "/Templates/small.dwt" -->
<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=utf-8">

<!-- #BeginEditable "Header" -->

<!-- #EndEditable -->
<title>Aardvark</title>

<style type="text/css">
<!--
-->
</style>
<meta name="keywords" content="">
<link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/main.css">
</head>
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF">

<!-- #BeginEditable "all" -->

<P CLASS="WARNING">Too many files
<!-- #EndEditable -->

</body>
<!-- #EndTemplate --></html>
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason,

I've given up on the assumption that it's ASP, IIS or Aardvark that is throwing the error and concentrated on Visual Basic. 'Too Many Files' is a VB error (error number 67) that seems to hark back to the DOS days when you had to specify how many open files you could have at one time in your config.sys. I don't see how this applies to Windows 2003, but maybe the suggestions in the technet article help?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbenlr98/html/vamsgTooManyFiles.asp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. As an experiment, I wrote a program which created 3000 files and kept them open, wrote to these files in a nice random sort of way, then closed them all, without recieving an error.

As the "Solution" given by microsoft is to increase the number of free file handles, surely this is just delaying the inevitiable "too many files" error?
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason,

I had a feeling this wouldn't work (unless you run DOS!). How about updating your Visual Basic Runtime and see if that helps? There could be a problem with the VB Runtime installation. Here is a link where you can download the VB 6.0 SP5 archive:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=bf9a24f9-b5c5-48f4-8edd-cdf2d29a79d5&DisplayLang=en
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm, the solution to this problem was to update the VB Runtime (VBRUN60.dll). This eliminated the 'too many open files' error for two occurrances of this problem.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1