Red Gate forums :: View topic - SQL2005 - why is Lumigent going to support it and not you?
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Log Rescue
SQL Log Rescue forum

SQL2005 - why is Lumigent going to support it and not you?

Search in SQL Log Rescue forum
Jump to:  
Go to page 1, 2  Next
msekez

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: SQL2005 - why is Lumigent going to support it and not you? Reply with quote

I was really interested in your product (had some problems getting it run on SQL 2k, but your forum support tip helped)..sadly SQL 2k is not what i need.

I have contacted Lumigent and they indicated they will have SQL2005 support for Log Explorer in 30 days. I'm not sure I understand the implication on this page: http://redgate.com/products/sql_log_rescue/development_plans.htm that Microsoft is disallowing log reading tool vendors from supporting SQL2005 when Lumigent appears to be about ready to release a version that does just this, as clearly this isn't the case. At least according to Lumigent.

As leaders on third party SQL tool market and based on my experience you really do make top notch tools - why can't you catch up with technology, while others do?
Max

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: SQL2005 - why is Lumigent going to support it and not you? Reply with quote

Hi there,

msekez wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the implication on this page: http://redgate.com/products/sql_log_rescue/development_plans.htm that Microsoft is disallowing log reading tool vendors from supporting SQL2005 when Lumigent appears to be about ready to release a version that does just this, as clearly this isn't the case. At least according to Lumigent.

Guys, any word on this? We look for an appropriate product being able to rescue SQL 2005 db's. I was disappointed when saw that you don't have any plan for that:
Chris Auckland wrote:
There are no current plans for SQL Log Rescue to support SQL 2005 transaction logs. It may be something that is considered in the future, buy currently it is not on the horizon.

This problem with Microsoft sounds very curiously...
rtonerii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new word on this? What it he M$ license issue? I bet you can get some people to contact them and let them know how they are hurting the SQL community.

This is a GREAT produce (when it works)

I am willing to contact M$ about it.
randyv

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: As an alternative... Reply with quote

I would like to simply cut to the chase ...

I know how one can be left flapping in the breeze by MSFT over licensing issues, so I'd simply like to know this - "Is Red Gate actually trying to get closure on this so that SQL Server 2K5 can be supported?"

I'd like to know because if this is just going to lay here forever, then I need to get about finding a suitable replacement. Whereas if this is being actively worked, then I could maybe sit and wait it out.

It is the not knowing about the current status that is giving me heartburn.

Regards.
rtonerii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here Here!

This was the most powerful product that I used from them. Now I have a program that does not work anymore due to upgrading to SQL 2005.

Let us know if you are even in any kind of effort to get this fixed.

Rick
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,

I'm in the process of trying to get an official statement about this. This is why this topic has been so silent on our end.

What Chris had said is the truth: Microsoft are imposing some restrictions on the log file documentation, but this isn't meant to signify that this is the final word. We're still trying to get Microsoft to see things our way.
jeffreyirish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: SQL Log Rescue and SQL 2005 Reply with quote

I'm hoping that there is some kind of offical statement released soon on this.

Lumigent might work for 2005 this, but why would anyone use that? If they can do it, Red-gate can do it better.

If Microsoft doesn't see it as a benefit, do what many other companies do. Figure out a way to do it anyway.
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeffrey,

I think we've learned that it's technically challenging enough to try to analyze a live log file, without the additional problem of making assumptions about the file format. This combination often results in unstable software or software that doesn't live up to its full potential.

I do appreciate what you're saying though. It would be a challenge worthy of a great programmer to hack Microsoft's file format by brute force!
arila

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: SQL Log Rescue and SQL 2005 Reply with quote

I've been using the free log reader from Quest, that works a treat on SQL 2005. Just trying to find the link now....
rtonerii

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arila,
Please post the link here when you find it. I do not know of any free log reader for SQL 2005.

Thanks
Rick
arila

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: SQL 2005 Log Reader Reply with quote

Hi, here is the link to download the log reader with SQL 2005 support:

http://quest.com/quest_download_assets/latest_versions/logreaderforsqlserver_12.msi

enjoy
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see a way in Quest Log Reader to recover the data from a dropped table. Log Rescue can recreate the table and recover the data. I think their program is mainly just a log analyzer more than a data recovery tool in my humble opinion.
rtonerii

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Brian Donahue wrote:
Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see a way in Quest Log Reader to recover the data from a dropped table. Log Rescue can recreate the table and recover the data. I think their program is mainly just a log analyzer more than a data recovery tool in my humble opinion.

Hi Brian,
Out of frustration of purchasing your product and getting the subscription. How do you have any room to talk about this any more at Red Gate?

You have let customers down by stopping development of this product. It is now useless. One big issue. "At Least" this one ca read SQ 2005.

Please don't try and sugar cote this and compare your product to this. It is nice that Log rescue can recover data but only in SQL 2000. Humm it is 2007 and SQL 2005 has been out for almost 2 years now.

Thanks arila for posting the link. I will start to look at there products. Maybe support from this community can have them add development to make a product that works in SQL 2005.
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was not trying to sugar coat the issue. I was pointing out that these two products are not exactly the same.

Also to clarify, development has not stopped on Log Rescue -- it's just on hold until the licensing issue is straightened out. Admittedly this isn't a top priority for Red Gate, but Log Rescue shouldn't be considered orphan-ware just yet.
acorcoran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an avid user of the Red-Gate products, I'm curious to how other companies can have tools released for SQL 2005, but you all are blocked by Microsoft due to a licensing issue? Not attacking, but simply curious what the other companies are doing to work around this issue, or are they running into the same roadblocks?
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2